Need info on shock fitment - Ride quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Long story short, I need new shocks to improve ride comfort. I've already replaced all UCA/LCA bushings with energy suspensions, and completed redid the front suspension with moog parts (Ball joins, sleeves, pitman arm, stabilizer, etc). This greatly improved the handling and firmness/crispness, however, the suburban still feels like you are riding in a M1 Abrams. My wife absolutely loathes the ride, and wants me to get rid of the burb (which I refuse to do). It is my family hauler, so as much as I would like it to be my off-road/expedition vehicle, I have to be realistic.

In my situation, I'm 2" higher from crank and blocks, and running 33's. I will be adding a 3" body lift soon, and putting on 35's.

I was set on ordering Monroe Reflexes or Sensatracs, but when I called them, they said they wouldn't fit due to my increased height, and they don't offer anything else that is longer.

I already have yellow/blue bilsteins, but I am not sure how long they have been on there, or if they are factory. When i redid my suspension, I tested them and they compressed pretty easily by hand (took some effort, but for a shock). I've had bilsteins before, and as much as I like them, they are too stiff for the wife/family.

What are my options? I would really like to go with Monroe's - but according to the rep, that isn't an option. Don't know how accurate that is, she didn't seem all that knowledgeable.

Thanks!

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Stock ones will work just fine with the 2" crank and block. You may be surprised how much it helps if you take the torsion bars down just 1 round.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear; thanks!

Oh and I was wrong, I forgot that I only went with a 1.5" block and cranked to level. So that stretch is even less (I don't know how wheels play into it).

Not that I don't believe you, but if someone else can confirm - before I pull the trigger on my order?

wildncrazyguy

Reaction score
Stock ones will work just fine with the 2" crank and block. You may be surprised how much it helps if you take the torsion bars down just 1 round.

Can you provide more info on how to do this to newbie suspension people like me, and what it does? Looking to get a little educated here. Picked up a 98 Suburban K1500 a few months back and to me it looks like the front is higher than the back. I guess I should measure. Anyway, put new Bilstiens all around and ride is much much better. Still would like to smooth it out a bit. Wondering if I took a wrench and did a complete 360 on both torsion key bolts counterclockwise would that lower the front some? I'm guessing that's what you mean by going down a round? Sorry if I didn't understand and am completely wrong.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Can you provide more info on how to do this to newbie suspension people like me, and what it does? Looking to get a little educated here. Picked up a 98 Suburban K1500 a few months back and to me it looks like the front is higher than the back. I guess I should measure. Anyway, put new Bilstiens all around and ride is much much better. Still would like to smooth it out a bit. Wondering if I took a wrench and did a complete 360 on both torsion key bolts counterclockwise would that lower the front some? I'm guessing that's what you mean by going down a round? Sorry if I didn't understand and am completely wrong.

That's correct. The more crank you have on the torsion bars, the stiffer the front is, and the higher it is. By de-cranking it (counter-clockwise turn), you will lower it, and take some stress off the front suspension.

On a different note, bilsteins are great, but not what I would consider for a smoother ride. To me, bilsteins are for control and stability, especially off-road; smoothness/comfort is probably its most lacking quality.

wildncrazyguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Here is a pic I took today since they were both pretty clean. Probably bad angles and I wasn't taking the pic to show that I think the front is higher, but I think you can tell what I'm talking about. It's probably just an optical illusion.

You must be registered for see images attach