Need info/advice on brake upgrades!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Ok so I have recently dedicated all my truck funds to being purely performance/maintenance related and I think one of the more crucial aspects of that is brakes.
My birthday is coming up soon and I've got a little bit of money saved up so I'd like to show my brakes some love :hmm:

Current plans:
  • Slotted rotors
  • 3/4 - 1 ton calipers (and new pads)
  • Stainless steel brake lines

I just recently had my rears serviced a few months ago so now I'd like to update the front. My question is where should I start? Which one of those three will give me the most bang for my buck? Ideally I'd like to do all of it at the same time but that can add up! Also, is it correct that cross drilled rotors are prone to cracking? I've read that if you just want a moderate/reliable brake upgrade slotted is the way to go. If that is the case, which companys do you guys recommend? I feel like when it comes to brakes, you get what you pay for so I won't skimp if it means an increase in braking ability!

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
IMHO, if your brake lines aren't leaking, no need to replace them. My dad runs cross drilled rotors on his 1-ton, never heard a complaint. The best upgrade would be rotors and pads. or a 4-wheel disk setup.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO, if your brake lines aren't leaking, no need to replace them. My dad runs cross drilled rotors on his 1-ton, never heard a complaint. The best upgrade would be rotors and pads. or a 4-wheel disk setup.

Actually, that statement about the brake lines makes sense.....sorta. Even if they are not leaking, they could be worn out to where they are swelling when you are pushing the brakes, which in turn makes your pedal spongy. The stainless braided brakelines can actually help alot.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score

I've got no leaks but the stainless brake lines SHOULD stiffen my pedal a significant amount, they're just kinda pricey haha. Also I really just can't bring myself to buy any cross drilled rotors because of the countless stories that correspond to this:
You must be registered for see images attach

Actually, that statement about the brake lines makes sense.....sorta. Even if they are not leaking, they could be worn out to where they are swelling when you are pushing the brakes, which in turn makes your pedal spongy. The stainless braided brakelines can actually help alot.

This is what I have be hearing, most people have been very satisfied with the stiffer pedal feel, but will it actually help with braking ability? Or does it just mean less distance to push the pedal for the same amount of braking?

Do a hydroboost swap you won't believe the difference it will make!

Ha! You always seem to be recommending the good 'ol hydroboost swap! I bet it would make a big difference but it may be more involved than what I'm looking for, although in reality I have no idea what it entails!

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
This is what I have be hearing, most people have been very satisfied with the stiffer pedal feel, but will it actually help with braking ability? Or does it just mean less distance to push the pedal for the same amount of braking?

If you do any hauling or towing, its worth it, as it will actually dissipate heat better than a rubber line. It is also transmitting your pedal pressure to the wheels more effectively which has obvious and literal benefits.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
If you do any hauling or towing, its worth it, as it will actually dissipate heat better than a rubber line. It is also transmitting your pedal pressure to the wheels more effectively which has obvious and literal benefits.

This makes sense too, my truck tows occasionally but not often. The fact that it will get pedal pressure to the calipers more efficiently will be most beneficial when driving behind some of the notably terrible drivers here in Tucson. Sometimes at the end of the day I wonder how some people got their licenses haha

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This makes sense too, my truck tows occasionally but not often. The fact that it will get pedal pressure to the calipers more efficiently will be most beneficial when driving behind some of the notably terrible drivers here in Tucson. Sometimes at the end of the day I wonder how some people got their licenses haha

:lol:

Don't worry it's not just in Tucson, it's the same way up here. Especially for the first snowfall of the year or when it goes a while without a fresh snowfall.
It's like everyone panics when a snowflake hits their windshield:lol:

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
:lol:

Don't worry it's not just in Tucson, it's the same way up here. Especially for the first snowfall of the year or when it goes a while without a fresh snowfall.
It's like everyone panics when a snowflake hits their windshield:lol:

Hahaha that's how it is when it rains here! Especially when it isn't monsoon season, people freak. "Puddle?!?!? I'll just switch lanes without even looking so I can just avoid it"
Also this happens at just about every light

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hahaha that's how it is when it rains here! Especially when it isn't monsoon season, people freak. "Puddle?!?!? I'll just switch lanes without even looking so I can just avoid it"
Also this happens at just about every light

Yup! Sounds about right:lol: