Need help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
My 96 chevy 4x4 5.7 wont start. It died on my way to work goin down the road. It has no spark or fuel. the weird part is when i turn the key into the run position none of the idiot lights (abs,check engine, etc) come on like they would if you turn the key without starting the engine. The truck will still crank though. Also the windows wont roll up or down. The truck is all stock wirinig wise. Need help asap

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
It sounds like one of the fuseable links burned. But I think GM did away with them. There are some fuses under the cover on the firewall. Also check the bulkhead where the power goes into the cab. it might be corroded and not powering the ignition. Really hard to tell without the truck being here. Sorry.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I have literally checked every single fuse. The bulkhead had a little corrosion so i went ahead and cleanded it. The only thing left i can think of is the pcm or the ignition switch but whats the likelyhood of either failing while going down the road?

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Try the connection on the wire that runs from the battery positive terminal to the fuse box by the master cylinder. The connection on mine was very slightly corroded at the fuse box and causing all grades of problems.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Be sure to double check all your battery and main power connections along with all the grounds.

My only other thought is ignition switch or PCM (but those rarely go bad out of nowhere)

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Well its outta my hands now. Thanks for all the help. Finally got frusterated and took it to the chevy garage after i got all excited when i found a broken ground strap back by the distributor, and there was bare wire goin to the knock sensor fixed those, still nothing so i just took it in.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Well im getting the truck back today. It turned out to be the ignition switch. The chevy garage also said my cap rotor and plugs were shot. I think they just wanted some extra money on those cause they were just changed about 8000 miles ago, but anyway just figured id let everone know what the culprate ended up being. Just glad its gonna be back home and running like a champ. Thanks for the help.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Glad it's fixed. Cap and Rotors get burned up rather quickly if they are cheap ones. Might not be a bad idea to at least check them.