need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went offroading in my 85 and it got hot....realllly hot ... it only has a single electric fan and going slow isn't the game plan.... it got 250 degrees and it would cut out ans then eventually quit.... and would cool down a little after I let the fan run with the key on and would crank and crank when trying to starting to start....once running it would immediately quit.... I got it down to like 175 and let it sit for a bit and it started and ran fine and came back down to like 170 and stayed there.... idk how long it was overheated for perhaps like 20 mins at that high of temp? At 240-250 it can cause ring failure warp heads and other things... should I be concerned?

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine was overheated a few weeks ago the temp gauge was pegged for about 10 min so this is a question that I would like answered as well

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I'm guessing the reason it died and then wouldn't start is because the ignition control module overheated. That's my thought. I've been fighting that problem most of this summer.

If I drive more than 15 minutes, and then shut it off, I have to let it cool down for 10 minutes or so before I try to start it again. Otherwise, it just cranks and cranks. If I were you, I'd look into getting dual e-fans, or go back to the huge clutch fan.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Change out your thermostat if you're spiking high temps.

210-220F is about as high as you should let it go.

250F is no es bueno....

Also, if you have things like an AC condenser and/or trans engine oil coolers in front of the rad, check to make sure you haven't developed a "mat" behind them. They're really good for trapping dust and bits behind them and chocking off airflow through the rad with what can get so bad it looks like a piece of rug.....

Last edited:

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm gonna run both clutch and electric fan to keep it cool...so should I be worried that I overheated it that once?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Probably took some life off it bit if it's running fine now then no immediate concerns...

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found out why it overheated... when I got the new thermostat housing from Napa I never checked it and put it on... well turns out it didn't have the lip the thermostat sat in to hold it in place so then when it got hot there was enough pressure to lodge the thermostat sideways inside the housing cutting off almost all flow... something not noticeable when the vehicle was moving due to the air going through the radiator keeping it cool.... so far I have ordered a new one and replaced the thermostat with a 180 instead of a 195 ... If the new housing is faulty again I may not be responsible for my engine if it is cooked... if not I am sure they will use the excuse of "why didn't you check your gauges" and be SOL so moral of the story is pull everything apart and go over with a fine toothed comb!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Found out why it overheated... when I got the new thermostat housing from Napa I never checked it and put it on... well turns out it didn't have the lip the thermostat sat in to hold it in place so then when it got hot there was enough pressure to lodge the thermostat sideways inside the housing cutting off almost all flow... something not noticeable when the vehicle was moving due to the air going through the radiator keeping it cool.... so far I have ordered a new one and replaced the thermostat with a 180 instead of a 195 ... If the new housing is faulty again I may not be responsible for my engine if it is cooked... if not I am sure they will use the excuse of "why didn't you check your gauges" and be SOL so moral of the story is pull everything apart and go over with a fine toothed comb!

Yeah, they'll replace the housing as faulty but good luck getting them to replace an engine....:(

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found out what makes it hard to start when hot... it died almost a mile away from home.. thought it was gas related but wasn't sure because my gauge said half a tank but it could be stuck so I called and got gas because I felt it wouldn't hurt as my father was coming to fetch me anyway.. so we started to play around with it and decided to check spark now that we knew we had fuel for sure.... no spark so we called my uncle with a tester and we began to test the distributor but it came up as having power... we were stumped...so along side the road we decided to pull the cap.... someone put neversieze in it... when it got warm it would get liqidy and cause a "short" so to speak so no current could go through.... we cleaned it off best we could and it started right up...went to Napa got new cap and rotor and now it starts even easier and has no more problems ... still puzzled why neversieze was in there but no more cutting out when hot no more cranking a lot when hot no more overheating now that everything has been fixed... thank god!