Need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrunetuckyMuddin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm changing my calipers and I've got a stripped bolt that's seized up. It ps the bolt that connects the brake line to the caliper, how do I remove this? Thanks guys!

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I have a set of those sockets too. Mine are from MAC Tools. They work great on rounded bolt heads.

Those should work, but I have also been able to use some heat on the caliper and a set of good vice grips to remove the bolt.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
If you are in a pinch, heat the bolt up a LOT and have the next smallest size of the opposite measurement system available; if it is a standard head, have the metric size that just barely doesn't fit ready, and a BFH. Put the torch down, pick the socket up, and beat that mother on there. Used this on my hub bolts. Works great. You'll get the bolt out or break the socket.

PrunetuckyMuddin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ended up heating the bolt head up, got a 10mm socket on there, let it cool off, and heated the caliper around the bolt and it came right out. Trucks finally back on the road, got both the rotors and calipers on and had to replace the left rear hard line. Only thing I'm wondering about is the left caliper has a little bit of play around the two bolts that hold it hon, it feels like its sliding on the sleeves around the bolt, is this ok?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
It should move freely over the caliper bolts, firm, but fairly easily. If it flops around, then the rubber O-ring insulators/sleeves are worn and will need to be replaced. The only harm is the knocking noise the caliper will be making as it's banging around. But if it's bad enough, it will elongate the caliper holes.

PrunetuckyMuddin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not that bad, it just lightly slides back and forth. Thanks for the help guys, this was my first time ever dealing with brakes.