Need help with a Security/Passlock Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I have a Passlock issue. Over the weekend the Security light would come on solid while I was driving. I would shut the truck off, start it back and it would go out. This happened 3 times.
Yesterday I went to leave for lunch and my truck sputtered, died and of course the security light started flashing. I borrowed a coworker's vehicle to go grab lunch. I planned on doing a Passlock relearn on it, but when I came back it started up just fine!
This morning the security light again came on solid as I was leaving for work.
I did replace the gauge cluster about a week ago from another '99 Tahoe, but I don't remember ever reading anything about the cluster being connected to Passlock.

Any ideas?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi I saw your post about security light solid while driving and am having similar problem. By chance did you find out what was causing it? Thank you

This thread is from 2015 so you may not get a response from the OP, but I can tell you that the easiest/best solution to most PassLock problems is to have it disabled in the PCM tune. Anyone with HPTuners can do this, or if you don't have any local tuning shops Black Bear Performance and a few others can do it via mail.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
This thread is from 2015 so you may not get a response from the OP, but I can tell you that the easiest/best solution to most PassLock problems is to have it disabled in the PCM tune. Anyone with HPTuners can do this, or if you don't have any local tuning shops Black Bear Performance and a few others can do it via mail.
Yep, that's the only thing that worked on my Burb. The "relearn procedures" would work a time or two, and then I'd have to try something else.
It was funny; when it finally started and stayed running, after three weeks of passlock kicking in and killing it after a couple of seconds, the truck kinda hesitated, like it wasn't sure what to do. It was like it wanted to turn around and ask me,"Mom...is this what I'm supposed to do?"
Then it started running like normal, like nothing had ever happened.

Reaction score
Thank you so much will investigate

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Thank you so much will investigate
If there's a shop in your area that does a lot of work on LS-powered vehicles... ( Camaro/Corvette/later model pickups) they should have the tuning software and programming to do this. I was recommended a shop in greater Houston area that does lots of work on later GM vehicles, and they could do what I needed for $250 ( now this was 2 years ago).

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
I have a Passlock issue. Over the weekend the Security light would come on solid while I was driving. I would shut the truck off, start it back and it would go out. This happened 3 times.
Yesterday I went to leave for lunch and my truck sputtered, died and of course the security light started flashing. I borrowed a coworker's vehicle to go grab lunch. I planned on doing a Passlock relearn on it, but when I came back it started up just fine!
This morning the security light again came on solid as I was leaving for work.
I did replace the gauge cluster about a week ago from another '99 Tahoe, but I don't remember ever reading anything about the cluster being connected to Passlock.

Any ideas?
I have had same problem but once I swapped my key it’s all been good. My “usual” key I used for about 9 years then randomly I was starting to have that problem in the most inconvenient times! Other than unhooking the battery and waiting here’s a gm guide for that but if you have another key just swap it out or leave extra key in truck for those times. But I have a sensor in the key and you probably do too my key was used heavily and showed it! My other key both original to the truck was brand new still has the textureness to it along with the fob! But new key may be all you need to do!
You must be registered for see images attach

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Hopefully this helps but I’d be betting on getting a new gm factory key at a dealership just like other parts keys can wear out too. Lol especially since this was anti-theft tech down to basics vs a MB laser keys of same time.

Reaction score
I have had same problem but once I swapped my key it’s all been good. My “usual” key I used for about 9 years then randomly I was starting to have that problem in the most inconvenient times! Other than unhooking the battery and waiting here’s a gm guide for that but if you have another key just swap it out or leave extra key in truck for those times. But I have a sensor in the key and you probably do too my key was used heavily and showed it! My other key both original to the truck was brand new still has the textureness to it along with the fob! But new key may be all you need to do!
I have just a regular key and yes had one made and still no good. I am thinking that when my husband (RIP) had a viper alarm and remote start installed a few years ago caused this issue. It’s been doing it for about that long now. I know remote start isn’t working and I haven’t been using alarm but I believe they should have bypassed the passlock system when they installed viper alarm and remote start but it’s just a hunch I have. Thanks for letting me know about the keys though

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I have just a regular key and yes had one made and still no good. I am thinking that when my husband (RIP) had a viper alarm and remote start installed a few years ago caused this issue. It’s been doing it for about that long now. I know remote start isn’t working and I haven’t been using alarm but I believe they should have bypassed the passlock system when they installed viper alarm and remote start but it’s just a hunch I have. Thanks for letting me know about the keys though
My Burb was bought used by us in 2013, and it had an aftermarket alarm installed. One of those that was wired so that if you didn't push the button on the end of the multi function switch ( that normally turns on the cruise control when you're at highway speeds) the truck would not start and the horn would honk. All was well with the system until the multi function switch was changed. My cousin did the work and he had to bypass some of the alarm wiring. Then about eight months later,once it was good and warm, the passlock started acting up. I had the remains of the alarm removed at a shop, and the problem persisted. Same thing with the relearn procedures. Would work a couple times, then you'd have to try another one. Only thing that fixed it was the PCM delete ( programming it out/ off). The tuning software is needed for this, and it's expensive because of the software licensing fees. Each vehicle this stuff is used on is another computer, and therefore another application.
The chip keys Cadillac Bob is referring to might have only been in Escalade and Denali as far as the 400 series trucks. Both my 99 Burbs were well equipped,but neither had a chip key. Actually our 06 Denali doesn't have one either. But I know GM used them on Camaro and Corvette starting in the late 80s because of high theft rates for these cars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers