Need help! Truck will start in drive, where is the immobilizer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
I need some help, does anyone know where the immobilizer is located? The thing that's supposed to stop you from starting it while in gear? Is it located in the steering column or gear box or...?

Right now my 1997 with an automatic will start in any gear including drive, which apperently is not good.

Anyone?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1995-up it's usually referred to as the range switch; it's the large black plastic device on the driver's side of the transmission where the shift stud comes through for the cable to connect. This is the switch that determines what gear is lit up on your dash indicator but also the park/neutral safety feature and reverse light switch. It's kind of common for them to burn up some of the connections and practically glues the connector into the socket, so you may be dealing with some wiring issues down there.

Richard

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Thanks, I guess I'll have to crawl under there and have a look!

Is there any possibility (if everything is OK in that black box) that something in the steering column could be wrong?
I'm wondering because everything was fine until the truck got stolen and a shop was working on it fixing a whole bunch of things in the steering column. After I got it back the air bag light was on and it wasn't before, maybe they messed up something more that could affect that too?