Need help mounting a winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rekeever

Reaction score
I need some help mounting a winch on He-Man. Would prefer to retain the factory bumper, notching out in place of the factory plate location. We live in a state that doesn't have front plates. I'm sure if its even going to be possible to fit one in the space. To further complicate things the truck has a 3" body lift on it. We would definately like something minimal. Don't need a battering ram up front. If anyone has done this before or has an ideas, I'll take any tips.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...rs-we-call-quot-He-Man-quot-(Dial-Up-Warning)

Here is a link to some pics if you would like to get an idea

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
everthought of making a front mount reciver hitch and being able to move it from front and back and beable to take it out and lock it up inside the burb?

Rekeever

Reaction score
I definately want it mounted solid to the front of the truck

Reaction score
I'm curious too, actually. I have a 8000lb Ramsey winch that I want to mount as well. I thought about using a center mounted box and cutting the factory bumper and welding it to the box. (Kinda hard to explain) I think your bumpers are chromed, where I don't mind if mine is body colored or black.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
there are some guys who mount it to the frame somehow so that you can barely see the winch under the bumper, and only if you are looking for it.

I wonder if there is a way that you can make a hanger of some sort and put it between your frame rails behind the bumper, cut a hole out behind the license plate then make a swing-up license plate and the winch hook comes out from there. That would be a sweet setup if someone could do it.... top secret winch :naughty:

Rekeever

Reaction score
I'm pretty good with a welder, if I find a day I'm not feeling to lazy I may pull the fron bumper off and see about mounting it between the frame rails. I wouldn't be opposed to cutting the center section out of the factory bumper and welding some side plates in. Then I could powder coat the bumper sides and make a split bumper that went around the winch center section.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
whatever you do, let us know- and also let me know when you pull the bumper off if you think there would be enough room to hide a winch back there without dicing a section out of the bumper. Probably NOT, but if you hang it lower and as far forward as possible you might be able to pull it off... the skid-plate might be in the way too, so I don't know.

Reaction score
I'm pretty good with a welder, if I find a day I'm not feeling to lazy I may pull the fron bumper off and see about mounting it between the frame rails. I wouldn't be opposed to cutting the center section out of the factory bumper and welding some side plates in. Then I could powder coat the bumper sides and make a split bumper that went around the winch center section.

That's where I am too. My truck is far enough apart that this isn't a bad option for me due to access.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Here's how I did mine about four years ago.

3''x3''x3/8 angle iron drilled and bolted to the hook mounts(welded a little as well) with 1x3/8 flat stock from the winch plate to a bumper bolt.I also had to notch the bumper a little for the angle iron.The plate and the fairlead came with the winch and surprisingly about the same width as the frame rails.So far it's worked fine for a low cost setup.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry it's all so dirty but I've been in the mud some....

Rekeever

Reaction score
That certainly works thank you very much for the pictures. I was hoping to tuck it in a little more though. Thats another reason I don't want the reciever mount. It affects angle of approach quite drastically.