need help diagnosing problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've been having some trouble with my truck the last few days after the engine light came on. It starts fine and drives fine for about 5 minutes then when I hit the gas it bogs. If I keep driving, it keeps bogging and the rpms keep going down every time I hit the gas until I have to stop, and it idles fine but if I give it gas it'll bog and just about stall. But if I just shut off the truck then start it back up it's fine for a little while longer then it'll do it again. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Reaction score
I'm going to, but the shop I called can't do it till tuesday. I just figured I'd see if anyone has had the same problem.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Is the radiator full? I imagine 5 minutes is what it takes for the thermostat to open? This is evidenced at the temperature gauge (if equipped). You hit the gas/water pump flow increases and problem goes away. You stop, water plump flow DEcreases uncovering the coolant temp sensor and problem returns. The problem symptom being that the engine all of a sudden thinks it is very cold and goes back into "choke" which is really the bog. If any of his is correct you are experiencing 'cavitation' of the cooling system and your water pump is moving air. If it were ME, i'd check the radiator as the actual problem may simply be low coolant. Time for a new radiator cap!
Do yourself a favor and fill the radiator (engine running for five minutes) and re-test to see if problem goes away. Might just save a trip to the shop.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The coolant is a little low, so I'll fill it tomorrow. Would low coolant make the engine light come on?

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Not unless it has caused some other problem. Might get a "out of range" code or whatever it says.
It's important that you fill the radiator with the engine running. If there is air in the radiator, there is air inside the engine block so there IS some cavitation going on. Let it run while you monitor the gauge. One is able to SEE the coolant temp drop when the thermostat opens. (This process may be hastened with some additional throttle. Two grand or so, not much.) I would make sure it's open THEN fill the radiator AND the overflow tank before a test drive.
GOOD LUCK!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My educated idiot guess would be weak fuel pump or bad fuel filter. You can get the codes scanned for free at most major auto parts stores on the 96 that is in your signature.