need help diagnosing problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
parent's for expedition had that issue and it ended up being a vacuum hose. It would almost want to die at stoplights but it never did.

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the replies. I just replaced the fuel filter and topped off the coolant and it's still doing it, so I'm probably just going to wait until Tuesday when I can bring it in and get the code read. If it is a vacuum leak does anyone know which hose it would be?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the replies. I just replaced the fuel filter and topped off the coolant and it's still doing it, so I'm probably just going to wait until Tuesday when I can bring it in and get the code read. If it is a vacuum leak does anyone know which hose it would be?

A simple code reader is cheap. If you paln to keep the truck, spend a couple bucks on one.

If you have an android phone, you can download "Torque" from the playstore for free and a Bluetooth ELM327 interface (plugs in to the OBDII connector) can be bought off ebay for 10 bucks shipped.

Don't pay someone to pull the codes for you. Most autoparts stores can/will do it for free (they hope you will buy parts).

Lots of vacuum lines under there. But it's a simple matter of just looking to see if one is disconnected. Putting them back on isn't a big challenge on an older vehicle. The hose "remembers" it's shape and there will be a nipple/port somewhere in it's arc that it will go on.

You're really just throwing parts at it until you know what that active fault code is....I would suggest you wait to find out what it is before spending any more cash on it.

:)

Reaction score
A simple code reader is cheap. If you paln to keep the truck, spend a couple bucks on one.

If you have an android phone, you can download "Torque" from the playstore for free and a Bluetooth ELM327 interface (plugs in to the OBDII connector) can be bought off ebay for 10 bucks shipped.

Don't pay someone to pull the codes for you. Most autoparts stores can/will do it for free (they hope you will buy parts).

Lots of vacuum lines under there. But it's a simple matter of just looking to see if one is disconnected. Putting them back on isn't a big challenge on an older vehicle. The hose "remembers" it's shape and there will be a nipple/port somewhere in it's arc that it will go on.

You're really just throwing parts at it until you know what that active fault code is....I would suggest you wait to find out what it is before spending any more cash on it.

:)

The shop I'm going to is going to read the code for free they just aren't open on the weekend and they're busy until tuesday, I'm just trying to fix it this weekend so I don't have to drive my dad's truck. I'll probably look into getting my own code reader.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
GL man, that was my shot at fixing it for nothing and is really more common that most people imagine. That info remains valid and I am curious to find out what the code is.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
The shop I'm going to is going to read the code for free they just aren't open on the weekend and they're busy until tuesday, I'm just trying to fix it this weekend so I don't have to drive my dad's truck. I'll probably look into getting my own code reader.

Any Autozone or most any auto parts store will scan it for free

Reaction score
I brought it in and they read the code, but they said there was something wrong and the code wasn't reading right or something. They did drive it a couple times and said that it's probably just the fuel pump, so I'll replace that. They also said if it's not the fuel pump, there's a chance that it could be the fuel pressure regulator. I know fuel pump problems are pretty common, but has anyone had a problem with the regulator?

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
if they cant read the code take it to someone who knows what they are doing,