Need help diagnosing an engine sputter/hkesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you didn't undo the connector and set your timing, that is 99.9% likely to be your issue. If your base timing is off, it will run like poo and die like you mentioned. Properly set the timing before you do ANYTHING else.

oh, forgot to update that i got the timing set with the wire unplugged, dont have a fuel pressure gauge to test that so i need to find a reliable shop and have them check it out

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took it in this morning and the guy confirmed that when you unplug the egr it goes away but it throws the CEL on and runs great! Plug the egr valve back in and the problem comes back, he said sometimes they stick open and dont close, said to go up to the dealership and grab a new egr valve and put it on, i asked him what do i owe ya and he said nothing! Was in and out of there in 20 minutes pretty awesome shop (Able Auto Repair) went to dealership and they want 143 for an egr valve!!!
When we initially installed the egr valve we put the washer in there (were unsure which to use) so when i got home i pulled the egr valve off and pulled the washer out put the valve back on plugged it in and still didnt fix it, tried multiple solutions, looping the hose from solenoid to valve back to the solenoid threw code ran fine, so the solution must be swap out the egr valve....kinda iffy about it cause i could just get burned again and get another crap valve.

Thought about egr delete kit but then i have to tune it out and not really sure the advantages and disadvantages of it, tbh the truck runs amazing without the valve plugged it, i ran the truck like that before on the original engine bc the valve was crap and had the CEL on for a while and never replaced it til the new motor went in.