Need help diagnosing an engine sputter/hkesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Edit: Hesitation**

So as some may know i got my truck finished yesterday swapping an engine in (replacement 350)

anyway it starts and runs but i put it in gear and give it some gas and she just bogs and sluggishly starts to move, it kind of sputters a bit til it unchokes itself and moves

Forgot to add that when i was driving it i turned and straightened the truck out and when i gave it gas it sputtered and died, stopped and put it in park and restarted it

I made sure all the plug wires were on tight, nothings unhooked.

also not sure whats up with the oil pressure being high?

I know the videos are hd or amazing quality, also exhaust is soon to be changed

Heres a video of it idling
You must be registered for see images attach

and a video of driving. (sorry not very good at holding a camera while trying to concentrate on driving since i have no signals (need to put in new multifunciton switch.)
You must be registered for see images attach

Anyways anyone got an idea? not sure if its a misfire or the timing off?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check the timing,also check all the grounds my buddy replace the motor in his 95 and it wouldnt run right his issue was a bad tps switch and the ground from the block to the battery and the ground strap from engine to body both had weak connections

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check the timing,also check all the grounds my buddy replace the motor in his 95 and it wouldnt run right his issue was a bad tps switch and the ground from the block to the battery and the ground strap from engine to body both had weak connections

Ill check all that thanks! I looked in my manual (haynes/chilton) and it said when adjusting the timing theres a wire that you have to unplug, may have been our problem bc we didnt unplug it (since its located under the dash under the glovebox)

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked the fuel pressure? Low fuel pressure can make them do all kinds of funky things

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a new engine with tight bearing clearances. May even have a high volume oil pump. I wouldn't be too concerned, as long as the gauge is actually moving. Hesitation could be timing, fuel pressure, vacuum leak, or possibly an IAC that needs to relearn.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone know of any reliable repair shops around pensacola florida? or somewhere i can get a few things checked out fairly cheap?

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
If you didn't undo the connector and set your timing, that is 99.9% likely to be your issue. If your base timing is off, it will run like poo and die like you mentioned. Properly set the timing before you do ANYTHING else.