Need help deciding on a welder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
i have a lincoln welder and i love it ive dont body work and welded the frame together in my truck with it its a great welder... just another idea for ya

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Im looking for one that can be run on 120 or 230v. Lincoln says they have one, but cant seem to find it anywhere.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
I've never had an issue out of any miller or Lincoln I've used! Good luck!

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
I'm gonna buy the little cheapo harbor freight flux core welder next time I'm in the store. I've used 2 of them with good results and for no more than I weld or need to, it'll be just right. Price is right too and don't have to fool with a bottle.

Last edited:

TUCSONDUDE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you like red or blue better? Miller or lincoln all the way. which one has better support locally? which one can you get consumables for easier(tips etc)?

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hobart is easiest to get parts for around here. Every tractor supply has tips, wire, gel anything a Hobart needs. I would go with whichever is easiest for you to get parts for.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Consumables for the Hobart are easier for me. I drive by a tractor supply at least 2 times a day. Lincoln is out because I don't even know where to get consumables locally. Ive heard great reviews about both. Both are made In the U.S. And both are MVP and have mini spool capabilities.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I only use miller welders, it is personal preference (not saying anything wrong with other manufacturers.)

That said, In my personal shop I have a older miller 250 millermatic blue ox and a really old miller 110 sidekick. I use the smaller 110 for thin stuff and body work and keep it set up with .023 wire. This welder is approaching 25 years old.
The 250 is a big boy that is also about 20 years old, it is big and cumbersome. Both welders were used at my fathers company, when they were replaced several years back, I snatched them up cheap.

Parts are redily available as miiller does not change the main components often, example, I just replaced the liner for my 110 and used an off the shelf liner from my local supplier.

regarding the 140 with autoset, this is the welder that is in the shop where I am currently building my truck. It is a great garage welder, but I would not suggest it if your going to use it for work (constantly being used every day) I personally do not like the auto set one bit, but it is easily turned off. I also like the ability to jump from 110 to 240 and only have to change the plug. After using this unit, for the price and what you get, I have been toying with the idea of selling my two older millers and buying a 140 for my personal shop and what ever is left over (because it is a good value welder) looking for a liquid cooled tig machine.

I do not have any feedback regarding the hobart welder, it uses many similar components as the millers do such as consumables. Some people say they find hobarts easier, but if you compare the two, they are identical, hobarts wands and grips are made by miller.

I do have a hobart plasma cutter, my only complaint is it is very sensitive to drops in air pressure and goes through consumables very quickly. (of course that also might be me using it to cut everything.)

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
Consumables for the Hobart are easier for me. I drive by a tractor supply at least 2 times a day. Lincoln is out because I don't even know where to get consumables locally. Ive heard great reviews about both. Both are made In the U.S. And both are MVP and have mini spool capabilities.

i buy tips and wire at tractor supply for my lincoln with no problem... but i havnt been because the wire isnt much good from there