nbs rear swap into an obs 1997 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone have done this? Looks like a few ways to make it work. Please can use some help.
Thanks in Advance

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NBS from what? SUV or truck?

The 1500 NBS trucks had leaf springs, but SUVs had coil springs. 99-04 trucks had discs (then went to drums), but SUV retained rotors.

I believe the NBS truck swap would be easier, but all mounting points changed and the WMS width is also different. I wouldn't mess with the coil spring axle myself. Additionally, you have to figure out the proportioning valve deal if you go to discs.

...just saw Schurkey's response...:rolleyes:

...I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
220 volt? You'll need it.

A "house current" 110 volt unit will be at or beyond rated capacity. I had a 110 Century; upgrading to a 220 volt unit was one of my best moves.

Are you going to fabricate the brackets, or cut them from the older axle, and hot-glue 'em to the newer axle? Be sure to get them clocked properly, even side-to-side, and stuck on so the pinion ends up at the proper angle.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBS from what? SUV or truck?

The 1500 NBS trucks had leaf springs, but SUVs had coil springs. 99-04 trucks had discs (then went to drums), but SUV retained rotors.

I believe the NBS truck swap would be easier, but all mounting points changed and the WMS width is also different. I wouldn't mess with the coil spring axle myself. Additionally, you have to figure out the proportioning valve deal if you go to discs.

...just saw Schurkey's response...:rolleyes:

...I hope this helps.
suv and i added an adjustable brake proportion valve with nbs master

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
220 volt? You'll need it.

A "house current" 110 volt unit will be at or beyond rated capacity. I had a 110 Century; upgrading to a 220 volt unit was one of my best moves.

Are you going to fabricate the brackets, or cut them from the older axle, and hot-glue 'em to the newer axle? Be sure to get them clocked properly, even side-to-side, and stuck on so the pinion ends up at the proper angle.
yes i will be fabing brakets my welder is 110 though. you always give good advice. i will try the hot glue techneck

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i added an adjustable brake proportion valve with nbs master
This is a 1500 Tahoe...right? Did you scrap the original 1500 calipers?

You'd need to if you installed a "nbs" master cylinder. It's not compatible with the original, low-drag calipers that 1500s and 6-lug 2500s came with.