Nbs rear end swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian_bob

Reaction score
So I'm brand new to this forum so I apologize in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong section but I'm curious on whats involved in a nbs rear end swap . I've looked online and I can't find any definitive info on it . So here are my questions. How different are the track widths . Want to lower it 4/6 and I worry about it causing some clearance issues
Also how much fab work is involved . I'm a decent welder and am no novice with a grinder . Any other issues you've ran into if you've done this swap yourself please feel free to reply or dm (not sure how it works ) thank you in advance for helping a guy out .

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Pickup or SUV? The pickup still had leaf springs in the rear, whereas the SUVs had changed over to coil springs and a 4 link setup (like the GM cars). Also the widths are probably different, I think the 99--06 trucks are wider.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rear disc brakes that aren't cobbled up, and a rear axle with less mileage on it? I've given thought to this myself since I have a newer Burb too. But the rear suspension difference makes it a deal breaker for me.
I don't know that having rear discs is worth the hassle, and not all nbs trucks have em. But, to each their own, if it's worth it to you or the OP in terms of time and/or money, I'm sure it can be done.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I don't know that having rear discs is worth the hassle, and not all nbs trucks have em. But, to each their own, if it's worth it to you or the OP in terms of time and/or money, I'm sure it can be done.
The 06 Denali we have has rear disc brakes. I've worked on them and they were lots easier than drum brake service (although I didn't do anything with the parking brake setup which is similar to the Corvette style). If it could be swapped for the drums on my 99 Burb, I would be interested. But if it's more trouble than it's worth, no. I'm not lazy or afraid of work, just don't want to make things worse. This truck is our only transport right now. Once we get something else, then I can do more than basic maintenance.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rear disc brakes that aren't cobbled up, and a rear axle with less mileage on it? I've given thought to this myself since I have a newer Burb too. But the rear suspension difference makes it a deal breaker for me.

I don't know the answer to OP's question, just know that they don't swap over because things are different between the generations. "IF" you do decide to swap at some point, however, a 99-02 Silverado may be a better candidate for your swap. The trucks have leaf springs just as your Suburban, just pad spacing or something like that is different? Don't know. And 99-02 were rear disc brakes. The 03-07 trucks went back to drum, so skip those years.

I don't know if your Suburban has that rear sway bar setup...I'm not familiar at all with that setup, though...then there's the 6 lug vs 5 lug pattern to deal with if you have 5 lug.

A guy I bought an engine from was parting a 04 suburban and he offered the axle for cheap (3.73 G80), but for my Silverado the entire rear suspension is different than the SUVs as you mentioned, so I passed. BTW, my 99 Silverado still has the original rear pads & rotors at 255k. I think 3 sets on the front. The last set I did back last Fall. I thought surely the rear are gone, but they were still good, so just did the front. Did a lot of highway miles from 100k-200k miles though, rest were city driving mostly.

Canadian_bob

Reaction score
Thank you everybody for the replys. For those who are wondering it would be getting swapped into a 1990 serra c1500 . The benefits for the swap in my mind would be disk breaks ,the 6 bolt pattern (mine is 5 bolt) but most importantly the added strength . I've seen the nbs rear ends take alot of power and abuse and I've seen nothing but scattered parts with the obs 10 bolt rears

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Um, I don't think the GMT800 10 bolts are stronger than GMT400 10 bolts? As far as I know, they are the same internally. I may be wrong.

A good swap for your truck is a 14 bolt 6 lug from a 2500LD. I just helped my brother swap this into his 90 C1500 RCSB. It's a direct swap. He got the front spindles to match from donor truck. He bought new U bolts and some conversion U joint, but everything went smoothly. No driveshaft modification either. It does still have rear drums, but they are larger.

His original truck had like 3.08 open differential and the 14 bolt was 3.73 G80, so a great upgrade. About the same price with all parts as regearing his 10 bolt. And the 14 bolt IS a lot stronger than the 10 bolt.

2500LDs are not too popular, but they are out there. Look for 2500 with 6 lug 2WD. I see them from time to time being parted out around here.

Canadian_bob

Reaction score
Um, I don't think the GMT800 10 bolts are stronger than GMT400 10 bolts? As far as I know, they are the same internally. I may be wrong.

A good swap for your truck is a 14 bolt 6 lug from a 2500LD. I just helped my brother swap this into his 90 C1500 RCSB. It's a direct swap. He got the front spindles to match from donor truck. He bought new U bolts and some conversion U joint, but everything went smoothly. No driveshaft modification either. It does still have rear drums, but they are larger.

His original truck had like 3.08 open differential and the 14 bolt was 3.73 G80, so a great upgrade. About the same price with all parts as regearing his 10 bolt. And the 14 bolt IS a lot stronger than the 10 bolt.

2500LDs are not too popular, but they are out there. Look for 2500 with 6 lug 2WD. I see them from time to time being parted out around here.
I apreaciate the reply I've had my eyes open for years at the scrap yards around where I like (southern ontario) and I've never seen one . The gmt 800s are a dime a dozen out here . The swap was just something that popped into my head I can't really trust the obs 10 bolt with the swap engine swap I wanna do . 6L ls big cam should make about 500 to 550 crank hp