NBS Master Cylinder Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It makes lots of sense. My abs gets worked out every winter in the snow for fun. That is probably one reason why my burbs brakes work just fine. And possibly why the trucks that dont play in the snow may be the ones who's abs system stops working. I dunno but my abs works flawlessly.

Al

Lol since the streets are wet both my tires and brakes get a work out lol. Just making sure the abs works and making sure she can still spin at least one tire lol...

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
I hired a gorilla to hang out in the back of my truck. As soon as he sees the third brake light he jumps out of the back, holds on to the tailgate and slows me down Fred Flintstone style. If his feet get too much traction he hops up and down to keep me from spinning out. Best thing I've done the the truck. F all that hydroboost, ABS delete and master stuff, I roll old school.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hired a gorilla to hang out in the back of my truck. As soon as he sees the third brake light he jumps out of the back, holds on to the tailgate and slows me down Fred Flintstone style. If his feet get too much traction he hops up and down to keep me from spinning out. Best thing I've done the the truck. F all that hydroboost, ABS delete and master stuff, I roll old school.

There you go. 4 wheel drums and non hydraulic brakes. Lol. Just turn sharp and let it stop like ace ventura

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If everyone who's unsatisfied with the brakes on these trucks would just bleed the systems properly (like with a Tech 2 to command the ABS module to stay open) and install some grippy pads and shoes (DOT code FF or better) they'd see there's no need for this MC swap IMO. I have JB5 brakes on my red truck and JB6 on the Suburban, both work great with the stock MC.

Yeah,, with good rotors/drums/pads/shoes, and NO AIR in the system the brakes work just fine.
I have the JB7/Hydro-boost system on my Sub, and working ABS.
Their is absolutely no reason to change the MC to a NBS unit.
The only reason for a NBS MC would be if you're going to a 4 wheel disc set-up,, and even then it's not a "must do".
Say your involved in a bad accident, get sued, and some lawyer asks you in court;
Lawyer; "So, you disabled the manufactures ABS system"?
You; "Yes, I didn't like it, and I was too cheap to get the dealer to properly bleed the system".
Judge; "You're toast".:(

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yeah,, with good rotors/drums/pads/shoes, and NO AIR in the system the brakes work just fine.
The only reason for a NBS MC would be if you're going to a 4 wheel disc set-up,, and even then it's not a "must do".
Say your involved in a bad accident, get sued, and some lawyer asks you in court;
You; "Yes, I didn't like it, and I was too cheap to get the dealer to properly bleed the system".
Very good point!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First off, there is no reason to disable the ABS system. Also you have a JB7 brake system. The issue with the brakes in these trucks, is with the JB5 system that has ABS. So, 95, or 96 up. As I mentioned before, my 93 had grate brakes. It was also JB5. My 97, the brakes sucked until I did the NBS MC swap. Just because your truck is fine, doesnt mean everyone elses truck is. And on the same hand, just because this swap worked well for me, that doesnt mean it will for someone else. Again let me say, it is not a good idea to disable your ABS. Just the NBS MC swap is all that is needed. Well that and a good set of pads, calibers, ect, and yes no air in the system. The biggest improvement the swap does, is give a firmer brake paddle.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have JB8 brakes and hate the ABS..... stupid system is fast to engage and slow to release. I hit a bump that doesn't need ABS, but it kicks on anyway, and now I have very little braking while it ***** around trying to figure out what's going on, meanwhile the tires are on solid ground and I need my brakes!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have JB8 brakes and hate the ABS..... stupid system is fast to engage and slow to release. I hit a bump that doesn't need ABS, but it kicks on anyway, and now I have very little braking while it ***** around trying to figure out what's going on, meanwhile the tires are on solid ground and I need my brakes!

Weird...Mine has never felt like that. JB6 brake system. It had lack of stopping power on dry ground. Doubt it would have even kicked the ABS in on dry pavement unless it was at very low speed. I had all the parts on mine for JD8 now except the ABS unit which is the OEM JB6 unit. The JD8 brake system can easily cause the ABS to kick in now even on dry pavement. I think the 01-02 van rotors and calipers are JD9, forget exactly now.