NBS/Astro knuckle brake upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Also subscribing for interest... This thread is older than I remember.

At the time, I was thinking about going the lazy/expensive way with a dual piston caliper upgrade on stock 4x4 knuckles. I had planned on downgrading to 15" wheels/bias ply tires for off-road use, but never did. This seems like a much more cost effective setup!

Kevco2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 99 suburban, the 2005 astro, and the 08 tahoe all had the wheel speed sensors in the hub. No tone rings on any of the axles. The 2005 asto hub speed sensors (which I'm pretty sure are gmt800 hubs) plug right into my 99 suburban harness. I got used axles from an 08 tahoe that had worn outer boots and the axles were replaced with new aftermarket axles. The new axles are so cheap it doesn"t make sense for a customer to pay the additional labor plus boot kit to replace boots when new axles end up the same cost. For my own car, labor is free and the oem axles are likely a bit higher quality than $80 part store axles.
Been doing all the work on my truck as well, to avoid labor costs and we have a full lift garage in the backyard thankfully.
The axles I have been considering are the non reman HD Cardone w/Thermoplastic boots #661430HD.
In the part description, it states ABS ring not included.
If I were able to find a set of original axles, I certainly would do the boot kit and repack them myself as you had done.

The RockAuto menu does have ABS ring as a part on the 08 Tahoe and I do not want to miss something.
Maybe I am just naive and green to dive this deep into mixing and matching, as this is my first truck
It is possible that the given ABS axle ring is for the rear system on GMT800 and the vague parts descriptions make it unclear

I appreciate the information and patience.
Trying to visualize and apply all of this digitally and not in hand is pretty rough
Thank you

Kevco2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I apologize if I seem to be grasping at straws looking for answers.

However,
What is the length of the new CV Axles used to take in the track width?
RockAuto has 2 different lengths for front CVs on 2008 Tahoe
All say "Front left or right" and are 22 7/8" in length.
Except for the Delco which is 18.2"..... I know it is typically best to pick OEM every time
BUT that would be nearly $600 with shipping and they do not come with new nuts

The length of GMT400 CVs is 21 1/16"

I have been Pick N Pull lists and there are no GMT900 4x4s within 150 miles

Does anybody have some other input or recommendations?
Am I just overthinking it and worrying too much about missing something?
Maybe just gun shy about dropping too much money on something that may not work

99GMT425

Reaction score
I apologize if I seem to be grasping at straws looking for answers.

However,
What is the length of the new CV Axles used to take in the track width?
RockAuto has 2 different lengths for front CVs on 2008 Tahoe
All say "Front left or right" and are 22 7/8" in length.
Except for the Delco which is 18.2"..... I know it is typically best to pick OEM every time
BUT that would be nearly $600 with shipping and they do not come with new nuts

The length of GMT400 CVs is 21 1/16"

I have been Pick N Pull lists and there are no GMT900 4x4s within 150 miles

Does anybody have some other input or recommendations?
Am I just overthinking it and worrying too much about missing something?
Maybe just gun shy about dropping too much money on something that may not work

You could try to just get the axles from the local parts store, that way you could return them if they didn't work. The stock gmt400 axles are to short, I used the gmt900 axles because they were long enough to not pull out of the tripod side of the axle.

Kevco2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could try to just get the axles from the local parts store, that way you could return them if they didn't work. The stock gmt400 axles are to short, I used the gmt900 axles because they were long enough to not pull out of the tripod side of the axle.
I see where I had been mistaken
Thank you very much
I had seen it as your track width had grown because gmt400 axles pushed everything out

-Kevco

K150098

Reaction score
I came across this post on Google and joined this forum because of the possibility of this mod. I really hate the brakes on my truck and since someone helicoiled the caliper bolt before I bought it... I need to replace the knuckle and this would be an awesome swap.

Just so I'm clear, can you guys confirm my understanding below of parts that will work?

2003-05 ASTRO AWD Knuckles - These have factory dimensions of 88-98 K1500 suspension for ball joints and tie rods?

2007-2013 Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban Front axles
2007-2013 Silverado/Tahoe/Subruban Front Wheel Bearing/Hubs
2007-2013 Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban Front Brakes

With regard to ending up with a wider track, do the tie rods end up further out or is it just a result of the hub being further out?

I should expect an approximate 7/8" further out on each side?

K150098

Reaction score
I came across this post on Google and joined this forum because of the possibility of this mod. I really hate the brakes on my truck and since someone helicoiled the caliper bolt before I bought it... I need to replace the knuckle and this would be an awesome swap.

Just so I'm clear, can you guys confirm my understanding below of parts that will work?

2003-05 ASTRO AWD Knuckles - These have factory dimensions of 88-98 K1500 suspension for ball joints and tie rods?

With regard to ending up with a wider track, do the tie rods end up further out or is it just a result of the hub being further out?

Was it something I said? Did I kill this thread completely?

99GMT425

Reaction score

Yes,
Yes,
I used the astro hubs, I think the connector is different on 07+,
Yes.

The hubs will be out the 7/8" on each side, the tie rods will stay the in the same location as stock. You will also need a 17" or bigger wheel and do something about the brake line size difference.

I did this swap a long time ago and don't always check back in here until I see it in my email.

K150098

Reaction score
Yes,
Yes,
I used the astro hubs, I think the connector is different on 07+,
Yes.

The hubs will be out the 7/8" on each side, the tie rods will stay the in the same location as stock. You will also need a 17" or bigger wheel and do something about the brake line size difference.

I did this swap a long time ago and don't always check back in here until I see it in my email.

This is awesome. I purchased the knuckles on ebay. I'll get bearings and brakes there too likely. Good call on the connector difference, I can get a new pigtail from Rock Auto for 07+. I'm already set on wheels, I'm running 18s from a '13 Z71. The only unknown at this point is a brake line adapter, but I think I can work that.

Truck is at 200k so I'll probably do ball joints, idler, pitman and tie rods too.

Good job on researching and sharing this mod. It will remove one of my pet peeves of my forever truck. Can't wait!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been following this thread too closely, so I'm not sure which Astros y'all are looking for, but when I was at the OKC Pull-A-Part a week ago, they had two RWD and one AWD Astro in the yard with intact looking suspensions. Just in case anyone in the area is looking for parts.