NBS/Astro knuckle brake upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's almost like y'all are looking forward to spending nearly $200 a side for wheel bearings that can't be serviced. ;)

J/K I understand the attraction of better brakes. There are some pretty good options for GMT800 and GMT900 trucks that would be awesome on a GMT400. Hell Brembo even has a 6 piston caliper / 16" (16"!!!) front rotor option for GMT900's but it's $2K+ and requires 20"/22" wheels (and not all will fit) ... and that's just for front brakes

EDIT LOL just realized we discussed that exact package on page 2 of this thread, almost a year ago

Richard

Last edited:

andremora71

Reaction score
Nothing yet so far . Been waiting still. The shop still needs to figure out how they're gonna drill and ream it . So nothing yet so far [emoji52]. I will be posting about it once it does get done

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess reaming the spindle isn't as easy as reaming, say, replacement kingpins? Those are ream-to-fit in a number of applications. Maybe a big truck shop would be more familiar with that part of the job?

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I guess reaming the spindle isn't as easy as reaming, say, replacement kingpins? Those are ream-to-fit in a number of applications. Maybe a big truck shop would be more familiar with that part of the job?

Richard

I've never worked with king-pins.... are they tapered?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never worked with king-pins.... are they tapered?
Some are; dunno if all are - I'd suspect it's somewhat typical on beam axles, though. Haven't worked with kingpins myself. I understand they're a royal pain to do on the 3500HD front end. Anyway, it seems to me that any truck shop that works on heavy duty stuff has the knowledge and tools to deal with a little job like some light truck spindles pretty easily.

I believe there's a bronze insert for some designs and that's what gets reamed, which of course is gonna be a lot easier to work with than cast iron spindles. Guess it all comes down to what their cutting tools are made of.

Edit...just a few examples of styles!
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Kevco2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did end up using 07-14 front CV axles to make up for the track width. The junk yard hubs have been on there now for 6 years without issue and I do plow snow with this truck. Staying around stock offset is the key to hubs lasting imo.
How well do the new Tahoe C/V axles function with the Astro hub ABS sensors?
Did you have to replace the ABS ring on the axles or anything?

Kevco2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sensors are in the hubs and they do work with the gmt400 4wabs system.
Thanks. Just asking because I have been looking at new CV axles from 07-14 and they do not come with ABS ring
I assume you also got those from the scrapyard just like the rest of your conversion parts? So it was a complete assembly
I cannot find a single 4X4 in a junkyard within 150 miles
Im trying to figure out if I do need the 2008 ABS ring for it to be fully compatible with Astro hubs

99GMT425

Reaction score
Thanks. Just asking because I have been looking at new CV axles from 07-14 and they do not come with ABS ring
I assume you also got those from the scrapyard just like the rest of your conversion parts? So it was a complete assembly
I cannot find a single 4X4 in a junkyard within 150 miles
Im trying to figure out if I do need the 2008 ABS ring for it to be fully compatible with Astro hubs

My 99 suburban, the 2005 astro, and the 08 tahoe all had the wheel speed sensors in the hub. No tone rings on any of the axles. The 2005 asto hub speed sensors (which I'm pretty sure are gmt800 hubs) plug right into my 99 suburban harness. I got used axles from an 08 tahoe that had worn outer boots and the axles were replaced with new aftermarket axles. The new axles are so cheap it doesn"t make sense for a customer to pay the additional labor plus boot kit to replace boots when new axles end up the same cost. For my own car, labor is free and the oem axles are likely a bit higher quality than $80 part store axles.