my wipers quit working today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PewterZ

Reaction score
I was in my 96 2dr Tahoe for hours yesterday in the middle of a blizzard using my wipers the whole time and today, I go out and when I twist the switch nothing. If I roll it all the way down to high they work but that's it. any ideas??

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Replace the circuit board inside the wiper motor box. Get that at any part store. Takes all of about 10 minutes to replace. Don't even have to remove the wiper motor from the vehicle. Under $20.00 (?)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could be the multifunction switch on the column, too. Although in my experience you usually lose just a couple speeds first when that is the problem, so sewlow's probably right.

PewterZ

Reaction score
Replace the circuit board inside the wiper motor box. Get that at any part store. Takes all of about 10 minutes to replace. Don't even have to remove the wiper motor from the vehicle. Under $20.00 (?)

I replaced the pulse board about 6 months ago, and I can tell the multifunction switch is newer then the rest so the previous owner must have replaced it at some point. not that new parts cant go bad, still think I should replace the board?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I've had a few boards go bad in short time periods. Being 6 months old, it should be under warranty, so it won't cost you anything but your time.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I replaced the pulse board about 6 months ago, and I can tell the multifunction switch is newer then the rest so the previous owner must have replaced it at some point. not that new parts cant go bad, still think I should replace the board?

From what I've read, the newer ones have a tendency to be manufactured poorly and go out pretty quickly. Someone here (I believe it was Richard/someotherguy?) did a write up on how to fix your original board with a little soldering... I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT - Well I found a few people mentioning it, but no luck on the actual repair procedure. My Google-Fu is lacking today.

Last edited:

PewterZ

Reaction score
ok if this sounds like I bad board I don't have a problem springing for another one. it wouldn't likely be the motor correct since it does work on high?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The (original GM circuit board) solder joints crack almost 100% exclusively on the 5 pins where the harness socket attaches to the board. Re-solder those and the original board will generally last the rest of the life of the truck.

Not my pic; has been floating around the 'net forever: the five circled joints to the top left are the area to work on.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm guessing though that you probably no longer have your original circuit board. I strongly prefer fixing those vs. buying the new chinese junk boards.

Richard