My truck is leaning instead of raking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
saggy ass syndrome haha i used to not like rake but ive gotten used to it in my hoe. mines inch higher out back. my friends dad has a stock hoe and when they hook trialer with chevelle up that thing squats like no other. ive had mine prett loaded and it sits level or tiny bit lower. all i have is 2inc block out back but never had a big trailer on

and i think it was me who asked about yur color haha idk what color mine is calld but looks really similar to yours

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I think you're all right... I think I might have been imagining it... I think if something was bent or broken it would have pulled funny with my travel trailer. Really I pulled my trailer 500 miles today and it pulled like a dream. (on a side note I think it pulled just as good or possibly even better than the usual tow vehicle... a nbs suburban with the 5.3 4.11 gears and air ride shocks in the back... and this is my stock Vortec 5.7 with 3.73 and no air support in the rear (yet)hmm..)

I've haven't priced out any rear end parts for these trucks... Have any of you lately? If I was going to put in a new axle and stuff it seems like I might as well put in new springs while I'm at it. Afterall they are about 14 years old. Where could I get new springs? Would a local parts store have them?

Nobody ever commented on my front angles. They looked normal to me but I've never looked at a cranked truck before. My front didn't look cranked did it?

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Your angles looked normal, also if your leafs are bent it would be closer to the hangers where it only has the support of the one leaf, thats how mine is and it squats about an inch or so in the back, also it pulls fine even with the bent springs

Chaser-454

Reaction score
it looks level to me

i have never measured from hub to fender lip or inner fender. i always found it looking more level when you measure using a straightedge against the rocker and seeing where it lies across the rim. it could just be me, but it has always seemed like the rear fender isn't cut as high up as the front fender(if anything, it looks just 1/2-1" higher opening in the front than back). that is how i leveled my 94 k1500, and it did look a tiny bit cali leaned, but when i measured from fender rocker to ground and front quarter rocker to ground, the difference was in millimeters. i also ran farm tires which dont stick out a lot, so maybe it was just how it looked.

93 K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just went through this with mine had a heavy load lost about 1/2" The springs just cant handle the extra weight in the ec, I upgraded to 3500 springs it raised the back up 2" though keep that in mind. Now last weekend I hauled a yard of rock 3000lb and only droped about a 1 1/2". The diff. in the ride is noticeable but really not bad. I will be loading up the camper and boat this weekend I will post some pics so you can see the diff.

Marcos

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also remember that the rear wheel archs are 2 inches lower than the fronts. Just throwing that out there.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also remember that the rear wheel archs are 2 inches lower than the fronts. Just throwing that out there.

Agreed my truck sits from wheel well to ground about a little less than an inch higher in the front and I have no tbar crank I'd say its more of an optical illusion and like Southern said your proly just a bit paranoid after hauling so much..

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score

Exactly, I'm sure this throws alot of people off when it comes to "looking like a rake or cali lean". With 1" less gap in the rear you could be SEEING a cali lean and actually be HAVING a rake.

As TLoud put it, it's an optical illusion, it's all in your mind!!! :D

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly, I'm sure this throws alot of people off when it comes to "looking like a rake or cali lean". With 1" less gap in the rear you could be SEEING a cali lean and actually be HAVING a rake.

As TLoud put it, it's an optical illusion, it's all in your mind!!! :D

Alright you guys talked me into it... I'm just paranoid :uhoh2: (and my measurements were bogus lol I didn't know that the rear fender lip was cut lower. I feel dumb now lol)

Although I still haven't ruled out the fact that I may be starting to sag a little after all these years and these loads. I'd love to put a 14 bolt under this thing and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to put new leafs under it while I've got it all torn apart? What do you all think? I'd probably go with 1/2 ton springs as I don't want to make it ride any rougher than it already does since it is still my DD. I'd probably try to get the cash to put air bags on it too if I did put a 14bolt and new springs. Would the new springs be worth it?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I'd first see about getting your old ones re-arched if they aren't broken, are your springs 4-leaf or 5-leaf? If 5-leaf, get them re-arched, if 4-leaf, grab some 5-leaf ones and have them tested/re-arched then install. No use paying $500-600 for a pair of new springs when re-arched ones will work just fine. If you have a pick-a-part, leafs can usually be had for $50-100 per pair, atleast that's been past experience down here.