My truck is leaning instead of raking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How long have you owned this truck?

I've had the truck since about 2005 or so. So I've had it for 5-6 years. In terms of miles I've had it since about 120k and it's got 192k on it now. The previous owner used it largely to commute with so of that first 120k of it's life a very large portion of that was highway driving.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well man, after hauling about 2000Lbs of paving stone, sand and other landscaping crap with my old truck, it definetly had a bit of cali....but not intentionally and both my new KYB shocks were shot. My leafs had been de-arched because I drove on them when they looked like sad faces. No big deal, Id look into getting some 3/4 ton springs down the road (or airbags, thats the best way with some new 1/2 ton springs).

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
(or airbags, thats the best way with some new 1/2 ton springs).

I've been wanting some air bags for a long time. I just haven't had the time/money to do anything about it. I think I'd like to save up and put new 1/2 ton springs, airbags, and a 14bolt sf axle with a disc conversion on all at them same time. It's just money right?

From what you could see did my springs look normal or did they look bent in the picture that I posted on the last page? I thought that the overload spring seemed close to the main leaf pack but maybe that's how it's supposed to me. It doesn't seem like it would take much (200 pound man on the bumper?) and they'd probably be touching...

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The setup with the 14bolt, airbags and new springs would be the best combo, thats what I wanted to do if I kept the 1/2 ton. 3/4 ton springs are cheaper, but your truck will ride like a lumber wagon.

Charby

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought but maby he broke a leaf, i have a broken one on my tuck atm and it made me sit like a half inch lower, its still there but cracked right acrost

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I just got home and hitched up the trailer. I looked at the leafs and I couldn't see anything that looked cracked... I measured the height and it was sitting at 19.25 inches with only about 20lbs in the bed (aka almost nothing). I dropped the trailer. Cranked on the equalizer hitch and measured again. I was just about 17 and 3/16th. So it squatted it 2" with the equalizer hitch... Now I know that this is a half ton and so 2" of drop seams reasonable. Could someone with a stock half ton ecsb, stock sized tires (29"), and the z88 (towing suspension) not the z71 off road suspension. Chime in on what their back end ride height is? I was measuring from the top of my center cap which will probably be a different size than yours though...

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have you mesured moth sides to see if there the same?
Yes. They haven't been exactly the same but they are usually very close. I figured that a little variation was normal and or it was just measurement error.
When I first hooked the trailer up the one side was almost an inch lower but I pulled it ahead to straighten everything out and then they were within an 1/8th of an inch of each other. The weight distributing hitch was pushing on it weird since they were turned.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean I know a stock 4x4 or Z71 height like the back of my hand (hate that saying but couldn't think of anything else)

I saw nothing in your pics that looks different from what it should. I think if you had heard a loud crack or felt the rear going crazy while pulling, that'd be one thing, but I just don't think there is anything wrong. No offense but all these gm400's are decade old trucks nowadays. Most have all hauled a good bit whether we know it or not. I don't think there's anything the matter. I would go ahead and beef up the rear end on it though if that's what you want to do.