My Rear Disc swap from drums observations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No horse in this race,, but I do find it interesting that in the period of time in which GM reverted back to drum brakes on its light-duty vehicles closely coincides with the time frame of its bankruptcy.
There has been a lot of talk on many truck forums that imply that, at least some of the reasons for the reversion to drums for awhile was because that when GM was "broke", it was an easy way to save a lot of money by using drum brakes on the "low weight" vehicles,, drums are a lot cheaper than discs, and the tooling and parts stock inventory were already in place.
But, hey,, just because it's on the web doesn't make it true,, right?

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No horse in this race,, but I do find it interesting that in the period of time in which GM reverted back to drum brakes on its light-duty vehicles closely coincides with the time frame of its bankruptcy.
There has been a lot of talk on many truck forums that imply that, at least some of the reasons for the reversion to drums for awhile was because that when GM was "broke", it was an easy way to save a lot of money by using drum brakes on the "low weight" vehicles,, drums are a lot cheaper than discs, and the tooling and parts stock inventory were already in place.
But, hey,, just because it's on the web doesn't make it true,, right?

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is no lie that gm struggled with warranty claims with e brake issues on discs..2nd they will sell there mothers to save a dollar..they knew they could get away not offering discs on lightweight trucks.The bean counters told them we can save a few bucks a truck by using rear drums..one day you will never see drum brakes on anything...they did not want to give up carburetors either until they had to meet emissions and mileage requirements..believe me if that did not happen we would still have carbs

Many reasons they used ddrumson the rear..but one of them is NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE BETTER
And if that was true ,they stlll would be on the fronts

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, very much so. To be fair though - my stock drums were all worn out. I had to spend some money either way, and chose the disc conversion because I prefer disc brakes. Ever since my old dirt bikes had drum brakes (many moons ago), I realized that I hate drum brakes.

My brakes work really well now. Most stock gmt 400's that I have owned or driven were scary if you had to stop quickly. You never really knew which way they were going to pull, or if the rears would lock up too soon and be rendered useless by the abs. Now I can drive in any major metro area in stop and go traffic without feeling like I might die.

For somebody who just putts around on country roads, it probably wouldn't matter.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, very much so. To be fair though - my stock drums were all worn out. I had to spend some money either way, and chose the disc conversion because I prefer disc brakes. Ever since my old dirt bikes had drum brakes (many moons ago), I realized that I hate drum brakes.

My brakes work really well now. Most stock gmt 400's that I have owned or driven were scary if you had to stop quickly. You never really knew which way they were going to pull, or if the rears would lock up too soon and be rendered useless by the abs. Now I can drive in any major metro area in stop and go traffic without feeling like I might die.

For somebody who just putts around on country roads, it probably wouldn't matter.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would agree if your just putting around town and living with a couple stop lights it might be different. However, i am towing a couple different trailers..a car hauler 26ft or a camping trailer or a full bed of construction debris....I knew sooner or later somebody would pull in front of me a d stop faster than me
Even empty in heavy stop and go traffic is was irritating

1BigCarrot

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have never heard of setting an ebrake multiple times daily. Every time I get out of my cars and trucks I select park and turn the key off. I have never set my ebrake not even once this year on the 2 cars and 2 trucks I own....and I cannot think of a reason why I would. You should poll this forum about who sets their ebrakes several times a day. I can only tell you that your probably the only person I know so personal with his ebrake. Your almost violent language towards me indicates other things about your demeanor. Have a great life and keep stepping on the Ebrake pedal multiple times a day. :)
That is the difference between what we call "steerers and drivers". For those of us who have driven professionally, use the brakes to hold the vehicle not the gearbox no matter if it's 40T or 2T. Gearbox is not designed for the way you are using it - period. Just because you have been doing something for years does not make it correct.

A quick google and . . . . you might just find you are in the minority.
You must be registered for see images attach

As my Grandfather once said "never try to understand an idiot son, you'll waste your time"

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an update - we are having some really cold weather here. It barely is getting above zero during the day, then it is getting down to -15 through -25 F at night. My brakes are working fine when stopping, but it seems like the rear brakes are retracting too far when I am not on the brakes. You can hear the pads chatter a bit. I might have to add one of those valves to the rear line, or change to a disc/disc master cylinder.

Sorry if I interrupted any bickering with actual experiences...