My neglected project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Of all of my trucks, there is one that I hardly ever work on, my 91 S10. I feel bad for leaving this tuck alone while all the other ones get all the attention. After all, this truck is what I learned to drive in as well as it was the first truck where I started to develop my mechanical skills, so it's pretty sentimental to me.

My oldest brother gave this to me when I was 17 and over the last 10+ plus years, I've really only driven it a few times. My brother got it from the boss he worked for, but of course the guy had lost the title so he used it as a farm truck.

After a few years, I was able to get the title so I was able to start driving it, but not for long. After a few minuets of driving, the engine would start to run very erratic and really wanted to die. When I was in high school, my shop teacher help me replace the timing chain as he thought it may have jumped a tooth. Over a few weeks, we replaced it and it seemed like it helped, but it still ran like s h ! t.

Eventually my uncle helped me diagnose it a bit more and he believed a massive amount of oil was being dumped into the combustion chamber, whether it was piston rings or badly warn valve seals, we were unsure.

Flash forward about 2 years and I had moved out on my own and had some money set aside to get the engine rebuilt since I didn't really know the condition of it. To save some $$, me and my uncle pulled the engine out so I could take it to the machine shop. About 4 months later, I get it back and we put it back into the truck.

At this point, the truck sat for the next several years at my uncles as I couldn't really drive down there every other weekend( a 2 hour drive). Luckly my uncle is pretty kool and didn't mind it just sitting.

A few years later, me and my oldest brother load it onto my uncles trailer and bring it home.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
We get it home and it pretty much just sits in my driveway watching all the other trucks get love. I've been planning on putting in my garage for the last year, but just kept putting it off.

This past weekend I got it in the garage and it needs a lot of love.

Typical that needs done:
Brakes
Tires
Shocks
Radiator/AC condenser

Advanced:
Repair broken transmission( broke it loading it onto trailer)
Drain/replace fuel
Check internals of engine(sitting 6+ years)
Replace rear diff seal(leaking)

Critical:
Repair engine harness rats chewed through( did I mention that?)

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Over the last week, I've slowly figured out where some of the wires that had no connectors went to, as well as where the rest of the connectors go to.

So far it seems like everything is there, and very few pigtails I don't have to rewire.

Except for this long single purple wire. It looks like it could be a ground, but I'm not sure. I have been using the wiring diagram in the Hanes manual this entire time and the only single purple wire I saw went to the 02 sensor.

Buuut, this wire has a ring terminal? Since my 02 seems to be MIA, I can't verify it went to this. I was thinking the previous owner(not my brother) put a ring terminal on it and ground it to the frame?

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yup Chevy's been using the purple wire for ignition for a long time ( my dad said his 55 Bel Air had that).