My hood flipped up while driving....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Due to a stupid mistake, the hood on my 96 Yukon flipped up and rested on my windshield after I hit 25mph....

It still opens and closes just fine, but the rear of hood by the hinge is lower. It's about 1/4" below the side fender at the antenna. The driver side has the same deflection.

I can't tell what needs to adjusted.

Any suggestions? Thx,
andy

You must be registered for see images attach

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think part of the hinge is bent. Probably easiest to put a few washers between the hood and hinge as spacers. Otherwise you’ll need to unspring what’s bent, or replace the hinges. We’re your lift springs not attached? That should have kept it from going back to the windshield. Lucky it didn’t shatter the glass. I had that happen in a Subaru.

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hinge still has the spring. I can’t tell where it’s bent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll try to find a 1/4in shim for the hinges.

Thx

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Didnt bend ur hood? Lucky. My 92 did it years ago and my 98 did it last summer. Both after long drives at highway speed then no reason both popped bout 30 mph. Both bent too bad to save. Scared piss outta me both times haha

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Probably bent down the upper hinge bracket on the fender. It usually makes pocket dents in the hood near the corners as well..

Gotta properly maintain your hood latches, especially the safety latch. It just needs a little lube in the pivot point so it moves like it's supposed to, instead of freezing up and letting the hood fly. :(

Richard

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pocket dents is a great description for what I’m seeing on the hood.

They’re hard to find. You have to look for them. Or feel them.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That spring part has nothing to do with the placement of the hood, it's specific and only purpose is to hold the hood up when open. The hinge is clear at the bottom/back corners of the hood, half of which is hiding under the black cowling. That is where things are bent. I didn't think the hood would be able to open that far with the springs attached. I'm looking for the lift gate style for the hood to eliminate the springs. They take up room that will be better used for wiring and relays.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a more common result of your problem.