My free engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Radio517

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picked it up from a buddy of mine. Was sitting in his shop and was tired of walking around it. :) It needs a crank, but now I have a motor I can build or junk. Not sure whats going to happen with it yet. It's a 5.7 Vortec. I will have to get the full story on it. (I don't remember the whole complete story)
You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can guess the story. Intake gaskets leaked coolant into the oil, bearings got toasted, continued driving until crank beyond saving.

Richard

Radio517

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds right. There was more to it, but I think that sums it up. Anyone ever have a crank turned?

Radio517

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That would be awesome. How much do you think that would run?

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Sure! But they can/should only be turned down 10 thou. Requires bearings 10 thou. thicker. A common practice.
Having the block line-honed would be a good idea, too.
While it's in the machine shop, might as well have it deck-honed as well. Especially if the engine was excessively overheated.
If the taper on the cylinder walls is beyond spec, add in the cost of cylinder boring, plus new pistons & rings.
That free' engine ay not be so 'free' after all.

Last engine I bought was a 350 for my square body. A reman unit. Magnafluxed, 4 bolt mains, steel crank.
A long block that included rebuilt heads with all new valves & springs & a 3 angle grind. New R.V. cam. New pistons (10.25-1 compression) rings, bearings, & all new bolts.
$1100.00 CDN.

Radio517

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if I will do anything with it. I wasnt sure when I got it. But I figured I might as well have it.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
northern has stroker kits for around 750, machine work will cost you a few bucks unless you have connections, if your mechanical the valve jobs and all that stuff you can do yourself. i built mine for 2600 with lots of goodies