My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got the quote for my engine rebuild. The machine work seems reasonable, so does the parts and assembly. After all is said and done ~$4300 total for a complete motor, a little more than I wanted to spend but, I understand why he wants to do the whole thing.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Any comments, suggestions?
Nothing mentioned about balancing or warranty? Seems very high. You can get a 383 shortblock balanced assembled for under 1700 7yr or 70k warranty no core . My machinist in Phoenix was telling me about mellings oil pump failures due to powdered metal gears and thin castings

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See if you can find a Vortec in the junkyard.
This is pretty damned cheap, but $4300 for a basic 350 is way high to me, that's why I said go find a Vortec.

I already have new fast burn heads (after the valve job) that flow better than Vortecs and a roller cam who's power curve is 2000 - 6500 with a 2500 stall converter running ~10:1 compression - why would I want to switch to a Vortec, PCM, and harness? ;)

Yeah, the quote doesn't mention flat top pistons either, we did discuss that too.
Nothing mentioned about balancing or warranty?
We talked about balancing, which he does but, the assy comes balanced with flex plate.

Seems very high seen a 383 shortblock balanced for under 1700 assembled no core.
I have too, until I read the reviews! Blueprint 383 short blocks start @ $4100, Dart bare blocks are >$4000 :rolleyes:

I did ask for a warranty, waiting for reply.

My thinking is, I'll have a new engine I shouldn't have to touch for another 20 years. And I don't expect to live that long :biggrin: