My exhaust build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, just wanted to start a post on the exhaust system I will be putting on the truck in the next 2 weeks. I bought my truck about 3 months ago from CA, it is lifted, and since there was no snow where the previous owner lived he never bothered making the lift work with the front driveshaft. I live in Reno/Lake Tahoe area and we get a lot of snow so this is a project I will be tackeling over the next 2 weeks before we start getting snow.

Anyway, the Summit Retail store is in Reno and they had a 10% of sale for black friday on everything and since I also dont have to pay for shipping I bought some stuff. I bought some Hooker longtubes, two magnaflow cats, a dynomax internal X muffler dual in/out (2.5"), some flanges, 02 bungs, etc. I am planning on installing everything myself and then only taking it to a shop to make a midpipe. I have a friend that welds so I will get the mufflers and cats welded up and mounted. The headers will be a breeze with the exception of the EGR which I want to keep for smog reasons and I dont want to have it tuned out. I havent been able to find a link or thread of anyone who as installed an EGR on longtubes....can anyone find a link that will show this so I can know what parts, sizes, location of fittings on headers, etc I need???

Another question....who has used the gaskets and hardware from the Hooker longtubes? Are they sufficient or complete ****?

What should I torque the header bolts too?

I think that is about the only questions I have....I am looking forward to some performance gains, better sounds, maybe an increase in mileage, but most importantly...having my 4x4 in working order. I will update this build thread will detailed pics as I make progress.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Tighten the header bolts. Warm the engine up, let it cool down, re-tighten bolts. You may have to do this a couple more times in the next few days after you install 'em. You should keep on top of this, because if you develop a leak & the gasket burns, you're starting all over again. As far as torque specs? How about 'Tight'! Start from the center bolt and alternately tighten them up as you work to the ends.

There are header bolt locks available. Keeps the bolts from loosening as the engine goes through the heat/cool cycles. Can't remember what they're called specifically, or the brand name. 'Header lock bolts'? 'Header lock washers'? Jegs, or Summit will have 'em.
Did they come with the headers? Maybe.

TBI355

Reaction score
Percy's dead soft copper collector gaskets, PERIOD! Do it once, do it right. I fought with blown out collector gaskets in the past, someone hipped me to percy's and I havent looked back. And no, I dont work for them or sell them.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good information, thanks guys. My headers should be arriving tommorrow so I will be able to see what the gaskets and bolts look like as far as quality.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on the egr? I haven't been able to look but if anyone knows anything such as what size the threads are or has a link it would be a big help!

Somebody has to have done this to longtubes before. I tried searching gmfullsize with no luck.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Percy's dead soft copper collector gaskets, PERIOD! Do it once, do it right. I fought with blown out collector gaskets in the past, someone hipped me to percy's and I havent looked back. And no, I dont work for them or sell them.

They also make gaskets like this to go between the header and head. I would spend the $ on them as well if you dont want to be messing with them alot. I'm not sure if its percys that makes them but I know someone does.

The locking bolts are made by Stage 8.....

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I've also heard some good things about Remflex gaskets, but have no personal experience

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well yesterday I got the entire exhaust system off...wasnt too bad with the exception of the rusted and hard to get to EGR valve. There is not a lot of room down there so you have to turn it 1/2 turn at a time.

Anyway, I am going to buy the Percy's header and collecter gaskets and some ARP header bolts so i can torque them down good and not worry about a bolt snapping.

This week i am going to bend some pipe and hopefully i can be ready to reassemble next weekend.

Jeff

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK...got the whole exhaust welded up and installe with a friend on Friday night. I need to order one 02 extendor and also need to take of the passenger side header since there is an exhaust leak. I used those percy's seal 4 good gaskets and tried twice to get it to see but it wont. So I am going to go with the different material ones by Fel-Pro in hopes that they will see.

I will keep you updated and post pics later this week. It turned out really good and my friend does some of the cleanest welding around. Everything is tig....