My documented TBI-to-Vortec 350 conversion!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's steel, you wouldn't expect it to bend :lol: I'll update in a few hours after work. Thanks again, Josh, wouldn't have been able to do the swap without you.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure the bolts that hold the TBI on the adapter are not through the bottom of the adapter and pushing against the intake pad. I studded mine to make sure it wouldn't do that. Now the adapter and TBI are an assembly that bolt on the intake just like a carb would.

You must be registered for see images

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Make sure the bolts that hold the TBI on the adapter are not through the bottom of the adapter and pushing against the intake pad. I studded mine to make sure it wouldn't do that. Now the adapter and TBI are an assembly that bolt on the intake just like a carb would.

Yeah i bottomed them out the first time pretty bad but now they sit flush and the only issue is one side of the adapter not sealing well.

On that note, i snagged a new square bore gasket from O'reillys and spread a little black RTV on both sides, and tightened the bolts just snug, not tight. Hopefully it seals. I didnt see a warning not to use this particular RTV near fuel, so im hoping it works. Put it on a few hours ago, gonna give it 24hrs to cure before i even start it.

Also, got new exhaust donuts in both flanges, they were an awesome type of really soft metal, and sqeezed in perfectly, not a single leak! Sounds GREAT, ann runs a bit smoother!

Now i just need to modify the throttle cable bracket to sit straight, and she'll be ready for the first actual test drive!

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Having an odd problem. Coolant temp sender is brand new but shows that the motor is heating up FAST, pegged the gauge at one point. And when the coolant temp shows higher than maybe 190-200, the "check gauges " light came on. Does that mean i bought the wrong temp sensor? Or could it actually be running that hot and the ECM sensor is dead?

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
throw a mechanical temp gauge on it just to see what it's doing

sent from the c1500 Denali

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I'm not positive but I'm sure there's a coolant port somewhere... let me try to dig up the info on it real quick

sent from the c1500 Denali

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Okay, having another problem. She's idling a little weird.
-timing is set at 0 with est unplugged
-MAP is at 34kPa at 650rpm and 1.24v
-coolant is at 200° and rises to 210 before coming back down
-block learn is at 124 (what is that?)
-TPS is at .78v
-closed loop

It stumbles and struggles at anything higher than light throttle or idle. Throwing codes 33 (map voltage high) and 42 (est problem)

Any ideas? It was doing all this before the head gasket blew.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Cancel that, the EST was left unplugged. But it still completely shuts off at more than half throttle :( it did that before the heads were replaced. Thought it was the egr but its obviously not.