My 99 vortec 5.7 STINKS, has a subtle miss but no Codes or CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great advice guys!! Thank you, any replies are helpful.

Is this the manual you mean? I have these if so in a box that I can get out

You must be registered for see images attach

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, that’s exactly what you need. It has the step-by-step diagnostics for each code.

I’d start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man, it might be worth using the online tool so I can search, I forgot how thick these manuals are.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have them in pdf, but it’s not an ideal format to find things easily. The alldata version is more user-friendly.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I imagine so. I think I will try to check for shorts this afternoon or bad grounds and if that comes up with nothing then I will dig through. Since it was an engine swap, I know the ground points are different so it will take some digging around underneath the ol jeep. I hate working on cars when they NEED it, I like it when its optional lol

Killjoy

Reaction score
Are the 1998 manuals basically the same as the 99 models? Ive been looking for a set for my suburban

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I understand they are. Someone respected on here told me it would be ok to buy 98 manuals for my 99 Yukon. Don't know if that's totally true or not

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s hard to read, but changes for 1999 Suburbans included radiator materials, different starter and revised seals in the 4L60e.

You must be registered for see images attach

I’d get the 99 if it’s available, but wouldn’t worry too much with getting a 98.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was hoping for something painfully obvious as I crawled under the jeep today but nothing seemed out of whack. Large and small grounds seemed ok of the ones I checked. I did notice the main 12v terminal on the starter was kind of loose. I wiggled it all around and didn't see any place it was grounding out so I don't think that's my culprit. I just have to think these error codes and symptoms are the result of something ya know. A ground issue or shorting somewhere or a main cause like a malfunction in the computer which is very unlikely on its own. I just wish I knew what I was doing enough but I know that 8 codes with disassociated circuits don't just all appear at the exact same time right?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that 8 codes with disassociated circuits don't just all appear at the exact same time right?
If they're the sort of codes that require a specific drive cycle to set, sure they'll all appear at the exact same time--as soon as that drive cycle completes.

I have a '92 and a '93 Lumina. They're extremely similar vehicles. That said, the brake switches are totally different. Buying a '98 manual for a '99 vehicle will probably get you 98% correct information, but you'll never know which 2% is wrong.

My 1988 service manual for my 1988 K1500 was copyrighted in '86. It's so fukked-up they had to issue a "Service Manual Supplement" to correct the errors.