My '98 Z71 ECSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It hasn't been to bad, I haven't broken anything yet. Speakers are in an getting ready to put it back together. Going to clean everything real good as it goes back in too....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the cb installed today. Hooked it in to the cig lighter circuit an it worked fine. Hopped out of the truck later, hit the power locks an popped the fuse :wtf: hoping it was just an old weak fuse? :confused:

You must be registered for see images

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a word of advice.

It is best to run the CB power and ground directly to the battery. If you do that you get a "cleaner" power supply. EXAMPLE: Turn your CB on then turn on your HIDS...... Lots o' static

I shouldn't be saying much because I have mine to the cig lighter too at the moment.

I hooked it to that for testing purposes and next time I take apart the dash I'm gonna run power and ground to the battery.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is a good place to run the wires through the firewall then? I looked but didn't really see a good place today. I got no problems moving it if it keeps popping that fuse....

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is a good place to run the wires through the firewall then? I looked but didn't really see a good place today. I got no problems moving it if it keeps popping that fuse....

I have used the rubber boot on the steering column before but then you have to run it all the way across the engine bay.......

Hey I just thought of something........ We have Vortecs......... We have 2 accessory studs at the fuse box that are directly tied into the battery.......... I think that would work and be super close.

Then just run your ground to a screw/bolt on the firewall inside and then the power to the fuse box...........Maybe....... I may try that instead.....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I saw those studs today too. Just didn't have a nut on hand that fit it. I thought about using the column boot but wasn't sure if it was a good idea.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I have used the rubber boot on the steering column before but then you have to run it all the way across the engine bay.......

Hey I just thought of something........ We have Vortecs......... We have 2 accessory studs at the fuse box that are directly tied into the battery.......... I think that would work and be super close.

Then just run your ground to a screw/bolt on the firewall inside and then the power to the fuse box...........Maybe....... I may try that instead.....

That's what I did. Works just fine.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All nice an shiny....

An with the truck running I have to have the squelch over 3/4 up to keep out the static. Guess I will be moving it to the battery for power.....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also going to have to get heavier springs for the antennas. Got on the interstate today an they lay wwaayy back at 75. Going to have to step up to the heavy rated springs I guess. Im not on the interstate much so its not a huge priority. Moving the power to the battery is though, its pretty much unuseable with the squelch so high.....