My '98 Z71 ECSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd put all the pics and some details about what all Ive done to my truck so far in one spot.

Here it is when I bought it:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The headlights, tailights and park/turn lights were all really cloudly and just looked bad. So I ordered new TYC tailights with boards and bulbs and TYC stock style park/turn lights from Rock Auto, I planned to save up and order the TYC elegante headlights but the same week I ordered the others I scored a set off craigslist for $50!

I Installed them all, DDM 4500k HID's and a HD headlight harness with 4HI from Mean Green.

Last edited:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shortly before that I had some issues starting the truck and traced it to the battery cables. I'm not sure if these trucks came this way or not, but my truck had two positive battery cable ends on the positive post and one long bolt. It would not stay tight and eventually got loose enough that the starter would not engage. One of these went to the starter and the other to the fuse/relay block on the drivers side of the engine bay. I dont see how these ever made a good connection since both of them had all the plastic protection on them and it was just a mess IMO.

So I purchased a new 2 ga battery cable to go to the starter, and replaced the wire to the fuse/relay box and to the alternator with 4 ga. Attached all this and the HD headlight harness to a nice battery bolt that has an extra stud for accessorys. No more problem there. Then the TYC lights got condensation in them one day when we had alot of rain. Well the Dr side had a little more than that.....

I didnt get any pics of the cables, but here is the headlight full of water

So I pulled the lights and carefully dried them out with the hair dryer. I then cleaned the silicone the PO of the lights put on and applied more and in a neater more controlled fashion than he did lol. I also noticed that the small o-rings that came with the HID bulbs were not completely sealing to the lights. I remember they sent larger ones with the bulbs but I couldnt figure out what they were for. Well the helped seal the lights up and I have not had anymore condensation in them so far......

Last edited:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck came with some Uniroyal 285's and they were just about shot. I kept my eye out on craiglist for some NBS take offs. I picked up a set off a yukon with nearly new bfg long trails. Not as agressive a tire as I wanted but the price was right.....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty much it so far. I have removed the toolbox and the peeling Z71 stickers. Just havent taken new pics yet cause it has been dirty. I also had to replace the Dr side door handle because I had to break it to get in one day when I locked my keys and my youngest son in there. I also have a pioneer cd player and speakers that need to go in sometime soon.

I did do a tune up also and replaced the cap, rotor, wires, coil and module with a kit from DUI performance. I used NGK TR55 plugs. I took lots of pics of that to make a how to but just havent had time. I'm also wondering if doing a how to on something that simple is worth the effort?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
New Z-71 stickers coming? I can post an ebay link for you of the ones I recently got if you want, you have to be careful of the size.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Z-71 stickers coming? I can post an ebay link for you of the ones I recently got if you want, you have to be careful of the size.

I'm still on the fence about that. Some days I think it needs them back, others I like the look without them. I noticed all the different sizes to and didnt measure those when I removed them, so a link would be helpful....

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good looking truck man, love the NBS wheels on there, but you are right, a little bit of a meatier tire would make it look way better. As for the Z71 decal, put it back on, I love the way they look......plus, its 5 free horsepower :D

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link ChrisAU....

Fobroader I guess with 10 extra HP I better put them back? I'm planning on some 285/70 when the current tires wear out, but it will be a while. I will decide what brand then, dont want to start trying to figure that out will all the options. I will probably wind up getting something used off craigslist....

Well I decided I would take some current pics, so maybe it would help decide if the decals need to come back or not? And no I wont be pulling the molding off....