My 98 starts hard in the cold all of a sudden

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaysBlue98

Reaction score
no check engine light, nothing. Happens in the morning as I'm headed to work. This morning it took 20 seconds plus to start it. It seems to take a little bit after work to start it, but nothing bad. Running around during the day it seems just fine. Just 1st thing in the morning. Seems to be getting worse as winter wears on.
Any guesses as to whats going on? Thanks in advance.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check your fuel pressure. It need to be over 60 PSI, before you start the engine. It should get to this when you turn the key on. The fuel pump comes on for IDK something like 2 seconds, before you start the truck. This is where you need over 60 PSI. If you dont have that much pressure, then the fuel pump is getting weak, and needs to be replaced. AC Delco, or Delphi pump only. The cheap pumps are trash, and will not hold up.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was going to suggest a possible fuel pressure issue too. One thing you can try is turning the key to the "On" position and leaving it there for 5-10 seconds before you try cranking it to prime the system. If that helps, there's probably a fuel delivery problem.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing that crossed my mind is a failed fuel pump relay, or fuel pump relay wire harness, or the part of the ECM that drives the fuel pump relay failed.

Vehicle needs oil pressure to engage the fuel pump. Cold weather makes oil pressure slower to build. Therefore, more cranking before fuel pressure, takes longer to start.

It's warmer after work, doesn't take as long to build oil pressure, vehicle starts somewhat faster.

Thicker oil will make this worse.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
Way it works on my truck is there is a fuel pump relay, and fuel pump switch in the oil pressure switch. Turn the key if the fuel pump relay works there is fuel pressure. Start the truck and fuel pump switch in the oil pressure switch engages with oil pressure. The two providing a power source. Lose the relay while running and the fuel pump still goes as long as oil pressure. I think fuel switch in oil pressure switch is inteneded backup to VCM/relay primary mode to keep from total failure on-road/driving.

RaysBlue98

Reaction score
Check your fuel pressure. It need to be over 60 PSI, before you start the engine. It should get to this when you turn the key on. The fuel pump comes on for IDK something like 2 seconds, before you start the truck. This is where you need over 60 PSI. If you dont have that much pressure, then the fuel pump is getting weak, and needs to be replaced. AC Delco, or Delphi pump only. The cheap pumps are trash, and will not hold up.
Thanks will try it this morning. Been kinda wondering if the fuel pump is getting weak. Every once in awhile when passing, it acts like its running out of gas.

RaysBlue98

Reaction score
Way it works on my truck is there is a fuel pump relay, and fuel pump switch in the oil pressure switch. Turn the key if the fuel pump relay works there is fuel pressure. Start the truck and fuel pump switch in the oil pressure switch engages with oil pressure. The two providing a power source. Lose the relay while running and the fuel pump still goes as long as oil pressure. I think fuel switch in oil pressure switch is inteneded backup to VCM/relay primary mode to keep from total failure on-road/driving.
First thing that crossed my mind is a failed fuel pump relay, or fuel pump relay wire harness, or the part of the ECM that drives the fuel pump relay failed.

Vehicle needs oil pressure to engage the fuel pump. Cold weather makes oil pressure slower to build. Therefore, more cranking before fuel pressure, takes longer to start.

It's warmer after work, doesn't take as long to build oil pressure, vehicle starts somewhat faster.

Thicker oil will make this worse.
Acts more like a fuel issue than anything else.thanks though.