my 90 project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I know this has been a while, but how much payload did you lose by removing that leaf? I occasionally haul stuff but not real heavy. just curious. Thanks

Michael

No clue to be honest with you, I only made the decision to remove it because I never hual anything with it. The most ive carried was a sectional couch. It bottomed out a few times but only because im riding so low without a notch. I honestlycouldnt tell you what kind of payload was lost it is a little softer than stock for sure.

mlgower

Reaction score
Looks like I know what I am doing this weekend. I already have the lowering shackles, but never thought of cutting the coils or removing the 1 leaf to get it lower. I just finished reading this entire thread and I gotta say I am inspired. I have a '92 GMC that I am building and definitely like what you have done. As for the flat black, I have used the Plasti-dip on wheels and other things on my last car, and a friend of mine did his entire ride with it. It turned out really nice. and the best part is, if you don't like it, you can tear it off and do something else. Thanks for the info.

Michael

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
yeah that's why I wanna use the plasti dip on the grill because I have a couple options I wanna try out before deciding on which way to go for paint... once I figure out the route I'm gonna go ill peel it off and spray it

Sent from my static android

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
yeah that's why I wanna use the plasti dip on the grill because I have a couple options I wanna try out before deciding on which way to go for paint... once I figure out the route I'm gonna go ill peel it off and spray it

Plasti dip ftw, i'm probably going to plasti dip the tbs grille bar to black it out. Might even do it this weekend if I can get permission from the roommates to paint indoors. Well that and if I can find it around here.

Sent from a 6.5 Detroit Diesel powered smartphone

mlgower

Reaction score
Was there any get'chas on removing that leaf? I take it you need to completely remove the assembly from the truck, any problems or tips on getting the pack apart?

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
nope pretty easy really just unbolt the u bolts, unbolt it from the shackle and the hanger. pull the leaf out unbolt the center pin, take out the third leaf down it's the one directly above the overload. then just put it all back together.

mlgower

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on this. Nice looking truck BTW! I really like the rims and think that truck would look killer in matte black. I got inspired by your build and lowered my truck yesterday. I definitely felt beatup after finishing, but I like the result. Now I want the 4/6 with the notch....LOL. Here's some before and After Pics of my drop. Since I already had the shackle kit (came with the truck) this drop was nearly free for me (had to pickup a couple of tools, which I needed anyhow).

Michael
You must be registered for see images attach

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
looks awesome man! thanks for the compliments. you've got a nice looking truck yourself :waytogo:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Now I want the 4/6 with the notch....LOL.

Michael

Hahahaha! Another mod monster has been created! Not just a disease, but a way of life!
Like Dean's avi. Lol!
...and they're never low enough!

Truck's come a long way, Dean!

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
your right about never low enough I'm thinking of redoing mine in the flavor of a 5/8