My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pure gold right here… I’m using a borrowed hptuners that still cost me $200 in licensing to get things going… plus I’ll have to return it at some point. $50 for a cable plus some open source hardware is right up my alley.
Does that setup have any provision for getting a Wideband logger linked in?

No, but you could always input it to the AC Pressure pin or EGR position pin.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will Universal patcher, Pcm Hammer, Tuner Pro read and tune the 1998 black box ecu?
No. It is for the P01 and P59 ECU's mostly. Those are what is most commonly referred to as the 0411 swap computers. HP Tuners will allow you to tune a 98-99 black box ECU. Its actually cheaper to 0411 swap and use the cable or ~$50 bluetooth tool with free software than it is to buy HP Tuners and tune the original black box ecu.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I was just curious. I'll grab the wife's 0411 tune and get used to looking at it before I re install my 0411

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so i guess i need some help here.
I got the cable, Pcm Hammer, Universal Patcher, Tunerpro.
Took about 10 minutes but i downloaded the ecu tune from the wife's Avalanche and it is saved as a .bin file.
Nothing will open it. I don't know why or what i need to open it and i can't find a XDF anywhere in the folders.
HELP!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so i guess i need some help here.
I got the cable, Pcm Hammer, Universal Patcher, Tunerpro.
Took about 10 minutes but i downloaded the ecu tune from the wife's Avalanche and it is saved as a .bin file.
Nothing will open it. I don't know why or what i need to open it and i can't find a XDF anywhere in the folders.
HELP!
Universal Patcher should open it. Once that opens it, you can Export a .xdf file for TunerPro.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like my desk top Universal Patcher will open it but it will not on the laptop

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would take it slow, most what you want to adjust is injector settings for non stock injectors, then VE Table and possibly MAF table. Then spark advance main table and power enrichment. That's what you want to get familiar with.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have my 0411 installed yet. Just playing with the tune out of the wife's Avalanche to get familiar with the programs before i actually dive in.
This morning i might have figured out the slight miss problem though. Up until now everything i have done has made a slight improvement but never went away.
Bought a fuel pressure gauge this morning and measured the pressure. I don't know how correct it reads though coming from a auto parts store but it's all i have.
With the key on it reads 45psi steady with no leak down after 5 minutes.
Running the needle it is bouncing so fast between 40 and 45psi it's just a blur.
If the gauge is correct i need a new fuel pump it looks like. It has at least 145k on it. The FPR was replaced with the injectors close to a year ago.
I don't know what it means but fuel trims seems to be a common question so i recorded them.
The short term on bank 1 and 2 is usually in the 1.0 to 0.8 range
Long term fuel trim on bank 1 and 2 i have seen up to 3.9 and always above 1.0.
Does fuel trims mean anything useful?