My 1990 Sport truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txwildman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did that swap awhile ago, only took me about a day to switch the wires around in the harness and it was worth it

Have you had any problems with it since? I heard alot of people say the same thing you said with no problems and the gauge is working in them great too. So glad to hear I can't wait to do the install on mine.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate that and I love the raised letter look also and It does give it that old hot rod feel!!!! The exhaust makes it even sound like and old 60's era muscle car !!! I also put blue LED's in the moonie gauges that came out bad ass too!!! But I will be adding a set of 91 needle gauges with Tach to this truck I found one at a local junk yard that I got for a good price. I've been reading on this and different forums that all I have to do is change 3 wires or so and it will work like if it were factory can't wait to do that!!! I will be posting pics of that also.

Awww :(

I love moonies. I have them in mine and another member here is sending me another moonie cluster. I like moonies better than any needles

hipasschev94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you had any problems with it since? I heard alot of people say the same thing you said with no problems and the gauge is working in them great too. So glad to hear I can't wait to do the install on mine.

none besides the ones the were on my last cluster lol like the oil pressure not reading and the gas gauge

Txwildman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well picked up this TPI at a swap meet this weekend has the harness and ECM ready for a swap from TBI to TPI !!! Needs a little clean up can't wait to install this.

You must be registered for see images attach

TBI

Last edited:

Txwildman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah sure will 94Sierra4x4!!! I'm still looking for an electric fan and TPI Serpentine set up, the ones on the truck stick up to high. That front of the TPI needs to go some where and the brackets on there now won't let it do that. I am also going to run speed density instead of mass air flow on it. I was researching the install and I seen this the other day got some good tips from it on his set up!!

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206690

Last edited:

Txwildman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well found the TPI serpentine brackets needed for the TBI to TPI swap. I went ahead and brought a new harness for it the original was to much to sort thru. Painless makes an awesome and "painless" harness for the swap hence the name (painless) lol!! Here's a few pics.

TPI Serpentine brackets

Painless Harness with ECM

Last edited:

zchrisz

Reaction score
any updates on the TPI swap? i have a 90 k1500 sport all black, i was thinking about changing to TPI but i'm not sure if there is any benefit over the TBI? i have a camaro i swapped over to TPI from a carb. the TPI and TBI make torque, just not sure if it's worth swapping between

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
nice truck! is the 91 cluster a direct swap? like is the plug the same? i have moonies in my truck and kinda want needle gauges. that TPI swap would look great in my truck! good luck!