Muffler Position, Does it matter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swans.2000.3500

Trainwreck
Reaction score
Just like the title says does putting the muffler in a certain position change power or sound? For an exaggerated example should I put the muffler just downstream of the y-pipe or should it be right before the exhaust tips?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Putting it under the cab will make it louder in the cab and more likely to drone...not sure about performance

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Mine has 3" straight piping all the way to about the rear tire, then cut. Seemed to open up the engine quite a bit when I took the cat off. Stock headers and Y-Pipe.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Usually the farther back you put it ( towards the tips ) the louder its gonna be.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine with the spintech, but I'd say factory location is a pretty good bet

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
and for the single piping should i go 3" or 3.5"? I hear people are running 2.5" dual=9.82 sq.inches and a 3.5" pipe=9.62 sq.inches

I'd go with 3" single...I know a lot of people (myself included) run 2.5 duals, but on a stock truck 2.25 duals are probably better for exhaust velocity