MSNSTV - 95 Silverado memorial build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Laid GP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Franklin was one of my best friends. I met Steve when I was 16. My mom worked a temp job at a Cellular South store and Steve was a cell phone technician there. He was driving a slammed Toyota pickup at that point and mom told him I was in to cars, so we met up to talk vehicles and remained friends after that, working on many builds. In 2011, Steve was prepping his bagged 2-door Tahoe for Showfest and had it up on ramps so he could examine the transmission, which kept popping out of gear. The truck came out of gear, rolled backwards and fell on him. He was sadly killed, leaving behind his wife and (at the time) 2 year old daughter. This truck was his daily driver, given to him by his father-in-law. Steve pretty much just drove it and did not do much to it other than projector headlights, and an aftermarket radio.

This is the state I purchased the truck in - it had been sitting under a tree since he passed away, with him having driven it to and from work up until the day he died. One wheel was mismatched due to the tire being dry rotted. The truck had a busted grill, badly dented hood, slightly dented bumper, and a few drivability issues.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Laid GP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right away I started working on it. I had actually already bought a couple parts from Craigslist and LMC before the truck arrived. I installed a steel cowl hood, billet antenna, steel roll pan, and replaced the PCV valve which was causing some/all of the drivability issues. I also stripped the trim moldings and Silverado badges off, and removed the tailgate trim. I cut off the janky dual pipes which were held on with a piece of clothes hanger welded to the frame.

After that, I picked up some new tires for the stock wheels, which I reinstalled and later plasti-dipped.

Last edited:

Laid GP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After that I started with interior work. I shampooed the carpets and seats, fixed the crack in the upper dash, plasti-dipped the top half of the dash black, installed APC white face gauges, filled in a hole on the dash panel left over from a switch, replaced the broken dash bezel, and installed a Denali center console. I also replaced blown door speakers.

Untitled by ra_laidgp, on Flickr

Last edited:

Laid GP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then I started the body work. I am "self taught" at all of this, and was learning as I did it. I shaved the tailgate handle having never done a bit of bodywork welding in my life. I did warp it slightly but was able to fix it later. I installed a GMC grill shell with billet and clear lenses all from either eBay or LMC. I traded my chrome molding front bumper locally to a paintable bumper from a 99 Tahoe, and replaced the broken valance with a brand new one from LMC.

Then I started the process of repairing dents and deep scratches, and sprayed the whole truck with a coat of 2K filler primer from Summit Racing.

After that the truck got wet sanded again, and sprayed with Summit Racing Key Lime Green metallic base coat. I messed up and did not order near enough paint so it got painted in stages.

And then 2 coats of Summit Hot Rod Flat clear.

Last edited:

Laid GP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I was in the process of painting the truck I bought a set of 22" KMC Slides from a local guy, who also threw in some McGaughy's 2" coil springs with the deal. I went ahead and bought some 2" shackles and lowered the truck not long after I was done with the paint.

I cruised the truck like this for quite a long time. Did some not-so-great pin striping on the hood and installed a Kicker amp and sub in a box that fit below the back seat.

Last year we moved, so that put things on hold for a bit. After moving I installed a hidden hitch, sprayed in a Raptor liner, and after messing up the paint on the tailgate removing my pitiful pin striping, I decided to mold in the roll pan and redo the body work on the tailgate.

In the fall I installed some 2" lowering hangers, leaving the truck sitting with a total drop of 2/4

Last edited:

Laid GP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This year I decided to get back to work on the truck. I installed a trailer brake controller so that I could pull my bagged Grand Prix on my car hauler trailer. I found "the holy grail", a Cat Eye Grill, that was brand new! Painted that and installed it on the truck with a LOT of trial, error and modifications to get it to fit "right".

I also purchased a 2003 5.3L LM7 to eventually swap in to the truck. The block got cleaned up and painted along with the valve covers and accessories. Got quite a ways to go on the swap but it's in progress.

I sold the 22" Slides and after saving for a bit bought a brand new set of Ridler 645s in an 18/20 combo.

I got a great deal on a flush mount toolbox so that was added.

This week I replaced the spark plugs and replaced then broken install kit for the radio. Got a 411 PCM and the correct oil filler tube and cap for the 5.3.

The paint on the hood is starting to flake off, I assume because I didn't use an etch primer. There are also a couple of bad spots on the roof so my plan is to two-tone the truck from the upper body line up, in either a darker green or a brown. Can't decide!