Motor Locked Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, with eagle cranks, you get what you pay for, hence why their cranks are so cheap.

As far as the vortec 454, I've got one collecting dust I yanked out of a 99 1-ton and was told to scrap the heads by almost everyone I've even mentioned the engine to. Now that you've schooled me, I might actually look into building it. :p

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Yeah, with eagle cranks, you get what you pay for, hence why their cranks are so cheap.

As far as the vortec 454, I've got one collecting dust I yanked out of a 99 1-ton and was told to scrap the heads by almost everyone I've even mentioned the engine to. Now that you've schooled me, I might actually look into building it. :p
i have a set with 10k miles on them with arp conversion studs and roller rockers, i am debating just getting the 3/8 threads drilled to 7/16 to use regular studs instead.

and the eagle cranks, just no excuse for poor machining no matter how cheap

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Drilled to use press-in studs, or you mean drilled & tapped for larger screw-in studs?

gen v and vortec have 3/8 screw in non adjustable valvetrain, arp makes a 3/8 thread 7/16 conversion stud to make rockers adjustable which i have but i think i would rather just pay the $75 to have the threads in the heads changed to 7/16 to use regular studs

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Ah yeah, I see....the 3/8" section in head is currently your weakspot.

yes, i am sure its not all that weak since arp does make the conversion stud, i just tend to keep my foot in it longer than the average person, the one saving grace is they are only #100 springs so not as much stress on the stud, the other motor will probably have canfields on it with heavy springs and roller cam so i won't have these small dilemmas, just need to worry about a vacuum pump and mud not playing nice with that one.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
relying on vac pump for turbo = big :nono: on our trucks....i hate vac pumps with a passion, they're almost as failure prone as the smog pump on SBF's.