Mobil 1 Annual protection... true or false?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Always used Mobil 1 oil in my trucks. Had 20k using it on my 94 C3500 350 and one week I fell for half off Rotella 10w30 and went with it. I have a rod knock after 500 miles

Then your engine was ready to die anyway.

I won't do anything past 5000 miles on the truck because, without a UOA, I feel that it has too much blow to go any farther. The Z06 burns NOTHING so I don't feel bad about stretching 10k.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I change the oil at 3-5k with mobil 1 and drove 20k in 3 months. Engine had 130# of compression at 120k miles, not sure that it was ready to go...

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wasn't blaming fresh oil. I was saying I had just changed from 20k miles worth of mobil 1 and bought Rotella 10/30 because it was half off and dirt cheap, after the oil change with a different brand of oil the engine has a bearing issue.

I'm typically big on picking and oil and sticking with it and this may not be a direct result of changing oils but it will probably stop me from changing oils on a whim again

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been using synthetics since the mid-90's. I use Mobil 1 & usually change my oil at about 5000 miles, but sometimes I go longer if it looks good and the weather is cold. I also use Briggs n Stratton synthetics in my lawn/yard equipment. Air-cooled engines will burn conventional oil in the crankcase, but synthetics are less prone to burning, (dont turn nasty brown easily). The oil molecules are more uniform in size, unlike traditional oils, and it also has much less wax, which leads to sludge buildup.

Met a guy at Lebanon Dragway (NY), who was talking about the advantages of synthetics over conventional oils. We went up to watch my buddy's Dad and his pals run a couple Chevelle wagons. We were hanging around in the pits near the "****" & a guy was trying to sell people something called "Synthoil" IIRC. Was around 1994 I think... I was just out of high school. It was damn expensive stuff too... wasnt long after that, I was told by a friend that the new Pep Boys store was selling their own brand of synthetic oil... I ran it in my '72 Chevelle Malibu 350 and I did notice a difference in the engine right away. Ran a lot happier and I picked up a little mileage. Downside was that my rear main started leaking. When I drained the oil to drop the pan, there was a lot of sludge that came out... the synthetic free'd up 20-odd years of crud. After that, my engine ran cooler for longer periods, and the oil in the crankcase didnt look burnt after 1000 miles. God only knows where the gunk was free'd from, but it sold me on the stuff. I used Pepboys and later Sunoco Oil Synthetics... I was a big Sunoco fan.. they all sold 94 octane and two stations in my area sold 103 octane ($3.00 a gallon in mid 90's vs $1.05 for Sunoco 94 octane). Not sure what happened, but they ditched the high octane fuels and franchised out their "A Plus" stations... after a few years, there were very few Sunocos left, so I went to Mobil... used Mobil's tri-something synthetic and then Mobil 1 when it replaced the older stuff, plus I primarily use Mobil Gas since the mid 2000's... and occasionally other Tier 1 fuel makers when I cant find a Mobil.