Mobil 1 Annual protection... true or false?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
awesome thanks I just sent for the kit so we will see what they say. what is the normal turn around time once you send your sample in.

Really quick, I think I had the results for both of my trucks about 4-5 days after sending my samples in. They can email you the results if you provide an address, so you don't have to wait for them to physically mail a copy back to you.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really quick, I think I had the results for both of my trucks about 4-5 days after sending my samples in. They can email you the results if you provide an address, so you don't have to wait for them to physically mail a copy back to you.
ok cool thanks for the info

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust an annual change, but I'm a Mobil 1 guy, always have and always will. All the vehicles at our house use Mobil 1 fully synthetic. Both my Jeep and Yukon have over 200k and they have had Mobil 1 pretty much since they left the factory, both dad's RAMs had had Mobil 1 since he bought them new, his last one (2003) had almost 200k before it got totaled and his 2010 has almost 100k or a little over. My sister's Jeep Compass has a little over 100k.

I change them at 5k miles and have never had a problem, pulled the pan on the Jeep for a rear main and did a valve cover gasket it at 200k was spotless with no sludge. The Yukon, from what I can see through the oil fill, looks pretty dang clean also.

Would I got more than 5k miles though? No, because I'm also pretty stubborn about that sort of thing, I have gone about 6000-6500 before because I could not get time to change it but I don't do that often.

wild willy

Reaction score
I don't trust it but I don't trust alot of claims anymore. BMW was telling owners of their cars that their oil change intervals were 15k miles. Mercedes at one point was selling the 10k miles oil change. So yeah if a person was to only drive 10k to 15k a year in those vehicles i assume that it would be annual protection. casue they both were using Mobil 1 from the factory.
Some of those German cars have oil capacities of like 10 or 11 quarts, so the contaminants probably get a little more diluted, allowing for longer (and more expensive!) oil changes. I bought an LT1 out of a wreck one time with about 70 k miles- not sure what interval, but was using Mobil 1 oil- and you could still see the honing in the cylinders from the factory. Didn't there used to be something about cars not breaking in using synthetic, like, use regular oil for the first oil change or something? Seems like I remember that back from the 90's-

biggbiker

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always had vehicles that only got 2-3K miles annualy, only SYN oil, 1change a year. No failures and I beat on my Corvette and a 350 in a 1923 T bucket street rod. I would launch the T bucket @5500 RPMs to wheely it for 10-20 yards. It had 4.56 gears and was always high RPM (55mph/4000 revs) That syn oil is slippery stuff, it would make some of my motorcycles wet clutches slip. Just some input from a 55+ ger head.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The best story I herd was a customer come into our shop and was leasing a 2010 Silverado the truck had almost 30k miles on it and this guy only had the oil changed once he said he just checked it every 5k miles and if it needed a little oil he just added! He said its just lease why pay for oil changes I couldn't believe it haha.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always used Mobil 1 oil in my trucks. Had 20k using it on my 94 C3500 350 and one week I fell for half off Rotella 10w30 and went with it. I have a rod knock after 500 miles