mn_ski Daily Driver - Keep it on the Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering how many gallons fit in the tank, I declare 25.915 gallons!! Also a truck doing about 55 mph can coast in neutral about 1/4 mile on a two lane flat road :)

So I had the kids and wife in the truck. We were running late to church, nothing new, so I didn't stop on the way to get gas. On the way home I really wanted to make it back to my favorite gas station serving 91 non oxy fuel. Every gas station we passed the wife mentioned stopping. I kept going, closely watching the gauge. Well about 5.5 miles from the station I wanted to get to, the truck did a quick stumble, I looked down and she was already shut off. I quickly slipped into neutral and kept coasting as I could see a random station in the distance. Two lane road, hazards on, I kept coasting. Closer and closer to the station, cars passing, my wife says pull over. I say no way I would lose momentum. She had no idea I was planning to make it to the station in front of us. Right as we were pulling into the parking lot, about 3 mph, I opened the door and started pushing. After a few steps the wife caught on and jumped out as well. We pushed the truck across the parking lot up to the pump. With great excitement I looked at the pump and saw it carried 91 non oxy! Score. I'll just call that little exercise a team building activity :cool:

You must be registered for see images attach

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering how many gallons fit in the tank, I declare 25.915 gallons!! Also a truck doing about 55 mph can coast in neutral about 1/4 mile on a two lane flat road :)

So I had the kids and wife in the truck. We were running late to church, nothing new, so I didn't stop on the way to get gas. On the way home I really wanted to make it back to my favorite gas station serving 91 non oxy fuel. Every gas station we passed the wife mentioned stopping. I kept going, closely watching the gauge. Well about 5.5 miles from the station I wanted to get to, the truck did a quick stumble, I looked down and she was already shut off. I quickly slipped into neutral and kept coasting as I could see a random station in the distance. Two lane road, hazards on, I kept coasting. Closer and closer to the station, cars passing, my wife says pull over. I say no way I would lose momentum. She had no idea I was planning to make it to the station in front of us. Right as we were pulling into the parking lot, about 3 mph, I opened the door and started pushing. After a few steps the wife caught on and jumped out as well. We pushed the truck across the parking lot up to the pump. With great excitement I looked at the pump and saw it carried 91 non oxy! Score. I'll just call that little exercise a team building activity :cool:

I think that's a guy thing, we love a challenge even if it means a little pushing to close the deal. We love being a winner. :waytogo:

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Buying a 20 year old truck in MN is not something I wanted to do.

Neither did I. Greetings from Apple Valley, MN! I bought my truck off of IAA last year from the St. Louis location in Caseyville, IL. The truck spent most of its life in Linn, MO and was Repoed from St. Ann, MO and was put up for auction. This truck has some rust, but not nearly as bad as some that I've seen around here.

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Neither did I. Greetings from Apple Valley, MN! I bought my truck off of IAA last year from the St. Louis location in Caseyville, IL. The truck spent most of its life in Linn, MO and was Repoed from St. Ann, MO and was put up for auction. This truck has some rust, but not nearly as bad as some that I've seen around here.

It isn't easy to get a clean one around here! Everything is a trade off. I was willing to do some mechanical work but I am not too willing to fix rust!

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yesterday was an unfortunate day for the truck. Wife was driving with the kids. As they often do, they stopped to grab the mail before turning into the driveway. This time my wife didn't take the turn wide enough and she cough the mailbox. Mailbox dug its teeth in the box side. Everything can be fixed and no one was hurt but looking at it made me a little sad :(

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I made some progress on upgrading my audio. I didn't realize before I started that both front and rear drivers side speakers did not work. Front was physically blown out broken! I started with replacing the fronts.

The brackets that come with the speakers didn't seem like they would work on our doors. They didn't fit the contour of our doors very well. I choose to flush mount the speaker to the door. Crutchfield said as long as everything was tight it shouldn't rattle. Alpine also showed it as a possible method of installation. I marked my holes and drilled them out.

I had one screw retainer clip that had to be shortened a bit to fit the contour of the door.

Crutchfield supplied a nice adapter harness.

All installed:

I think I got lucky with this set and that the tweeter fit perfectly into the stock location and twisted in exactly like how the factory tweeter is installed.

I also cleaned as much as I could while I had things apart:

BVRPLZR

Reaction score
Yesterday was an unfortunate day for the truck. Wife was driving with the kids. As they often do, they stopped to grab the mail before turning into the driveway. This time my wife didn't take the turn wide enough and she cough the mailbox. Mailbox dug its teeth in the box side. Everything can be fixed and no one was hurt but looking at it made me a little sad :(

Gonna have to get some creative pinstriping done! It'll blend right in ;)

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score

My son did the same thing turning into a parking space in his little Nissan Altima when he was 16. Scraped all the way down the passenger side on a truck's bumper. My response, "At what point did you NOT realize you were scraping the ENTIRE side of your car down someone else's bumper ???!!!??? He and his girlfriend still jokingly use that saying to this day to each other, "At what point did you NOT . . . " :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I wasn't there and who knows how loud the kids were screaming at the time. I just empathised and moved on. I am getting quotes to get it fixed.

Anyone else have a challenge getting new speakers to fit in the rear of the extended cab? I think the new speakers I bought are just slightly too deep. It seems like the magnet is either touching the inside of the cab of the truck or is damn close. The speaker hole depth is not much.

Last edited: