mn_ski Daily Driver - Keep it on the Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back in September I discovered the seal in the timing cover that goes around the harmonic balancer was leaking. After a bunch of reading the site here I found the Holley 21-153 metal timing cover. I liked this unit because it was metal, not Dorman, and the seal is replaceable should it leak in the future.

I figured while I was in there I should do the timing chain as well. So a bunch more reading here and I found the Cloyes 1157 Roller timing chain.

Everything was all good. I was reading the Factory Service manual and discovered that the timing cover replacement calls for dropping part or all of the Oil pan. Makes sense but I hadn't realized it yet. So I watched some youtubes and was all ready to do the work...and then I thought about laying on my back for who knows how many hours finagling the oil pan and timing cover back in place and getting them to seal up and I thought better!

So down to the mechanic in town I went! Overall I am glad I had the shop do this one. It turns out I had accidentally ordered the Holley 21-151 cover, which is the cover without the crank sensor connection. So the truck sat in the shop and extra few days while the correct part was ordered. Better the truck sat in their garage than mine! Also the lower radiator hose disintegrated upon removal and a new serpentine belt was installed as well. The motor has 237K and the shop said the original chain was very loose. Also since I had this shop do my pan gasket less than a year ago he was cool and didn't charge me for a new gasket to reseal the oil pan.

In the end the motor runs very smooth at idle now. Before when at idle the truck had a slight mis to it or a stumble. It was very small but noticeable. It was not a misfire, and there was no change in RPM but you could feel a slight blip in the motor. There was never hesitation on acceleration or a code of any kind. Now the engine idles smooth. I think the mechanic did a good job and I am happy that it is done. On to more exciting projects coming up!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I wonder why manufacturers don't do a 4-high themselves. I don't think my 90's Volvo's do it either. I think my parents old 1983 Old's Delta 88, did though. I'm not sure about my Buicks.... I know the Lesabre has such dim lights I can run around town, at night, with the high beams on and no one flashes me.... old wiring issues that I'd like to fix this summer, along with the brakes, and other things.

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think perspective plays into this a bit too. While I wholeheartedly agree that by today's standards these trucks should have 4 HI. I think that because we are comparing them to technology that is 20+ years newer. My dad bought a '98 new. I don't remember thinking at the time that the lights were insufficient. However as each generation of truck has brought with it advancements in lighting that is when you start to look back at your '98 and think, these lights kinda suck, lol. That and hazy lenses don't help either.

I remember in '07 when my cousin bought his VW GTI. Its (projector, or HID???) headlights were amazing. I remember the first time I rode in the car and was floored by how well you could see. Not only was the distance amazing but so was the nice white light that was produced. Getting back into my car with halogens seamed...lackluster.

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any one know what this rubber cap on the radiator is for? It sits directly below the Radiator cap. Mine is leaking. How do I replace it?
You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Any one know what this rubber cap on the radiator is for? It sits directly below the Radiator cap. Mine is leaking. How do I replace it?

It's for the return line from the heater core. It's probably a replacement radiator if your truck doesn't return the coolant there.

It's a 5/8" coolant cap/plug. Dorman sells them. You can probably find it in the "Help" section at the parts store. They don't last long, but I think 2 come in the package. Some guys buy a silicone cap, but they're kinda pricey for what they are. Another popular solution is to use a short piece of heater hose and clamp a bolt in the end of it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

Probably so the aftermarket can use the same radiator in Burbs and pickups....I think the Burbs with rear heat have a hose there. I'll look next time I'm where my Burb is (cause I ran it some yesterday and will need to check under the hood before I run it again since some of the rear heater hose fittings leak).

Macs Garage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Living in MN myself I hear you about rust. First thing I did was find another pickup bed and replace the cab corners. Lucky I am pretty good at body work for an amateur. I don't every what to spray metallic again thought. Unfortunately I will have to again now that the front fenders are really looking tough and probably a door too. I drool every time I go west and see rust free trucks sitting around. But they also drive them up until the wheels fall off. Lot easier to drive a rusty truck and fix as you go than to drive one mechanically worn out that looks good. My radiator had same nipple leak, easy fix with new cap. I have learned a lot from this site and the people in here are much more helpful and civil compared to other ones I am on.

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I can finally say the truck is leak free!! After the radiator nipple leak I moved on to fixing the air conditioning. That was the last leak I had to fix on this truck! My last 5000 mile oil change I added less than 1 quart over all so I am super happy with the new oil pan gaskets and timing cover gasket.

The AC compressor had a leak in the case. I ordered a replacement compressor (14-20151S), Orifice tube (43-MT0098-1), and accumulator (17-2924) from Arizona Mobile Air. Once the parts arrived I dropped the truck off at the shop and had everything installed. I was going to install everything and then bring it to the shop to put the refrigerant in but for how little time they charged me to install everything it wasn't worth it for me. I wanted them to look everything over and make sure the system was good. Plus if the old compressor left any metal shavings or anything that could have taken out the new compressor I would have their shop warranty to help cover the time to replace everything. Sometimes it is nice to just drop the truck off and pick it up all fixed!

Parts installed: