Mini Spool in rear end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Well, Since my OBS is heading towards a Street/Strip truck with the TH-400 going into it. Ive been thinking i need to address the next weak link.

Currently the truck has

Stock 1994 10-Bolt Rear end, 3.42's, Open Diff

I want to run a 15" Wheel and slicks at the track, so i need a Locker or Posi, but What about Mini Spools? My Pop's has had one in his Camaro ever since he has bought it, sees regular drive time in the summer (Ford 9"), no problems once so ever.

So my thoughts are, Why not go Mini Spool and put in some lower gears.

Thoughts so far.

Stock 1994 10-Bolt, 4.11's, Mini Spool.

Opinions guys?

also, these trucks came stock with a 8.5", 30-spline, am i right?

NAST96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was just considering the same thing. I think it would all depend on what youu do more of the time. Obviously, the outer wheel on a turn is going to turn faster than the inside so i dont know if tire wear would be an issue or not? I just bought a Lock Right made by richmond. It was fairly cheap and is supposed to allow one tire to turn faster around a corner.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
I would stay away from mini spools. The reason the tire chirps is thats the path of least resistance when turning. If for some reason that tire doesnt give......something else will. Its really no different then the old "Lincoln Locker" except it bolts in.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
~2000 chevy full size vans had 14 bolt rear ends with disc brakes, throw a detroit tru-trak into that and never worry about hurting it.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you don't have junkyards near you? The local pick n pull self serve places sell rearends for $240 disc to disc, and they throw 50% off that on holiday weekends.

Kawikid

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your stock rear end will be fine and trutrac would be the way to go and what ever gearing you want to tell you the truth.