Metal in fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So as most of yall know ive been working on getting my trans rebuilt. Well I installed it today and drove about 15 miles and discovered I had a leak at the grommet for the detent cable. While making the repair I caught the fluid I lost so I could reuse it. But I noticed quite alot of metallic in it. Is it normal for a new trans to have some metal from the parts breaking in?

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is pretty normal. Most may have come from the cooler. You can blow air thru the cooler and get most out, but without a hot flush it is just no way to get it all. Give it a few days and the filter will catch it all.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I should mention that I replaced the auxillary cooler and bypassed the one in the radiator. It seems to be acting as it should, wish the vette servo made more of a difference. I do have a odd noise now since putting it back together that I cant seem to locate. But its hard to hear over my leaking donut gasket, which ill be replacing tomorrow.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found the noise to be the idler pulley. Now my oil pressure gauge keeps dropping to zero and the check gauges light comes on. I picked up a mechanical gauge today that Im going to try.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
My vette servo made a huge difference. Maybe mine just shifted 2nd really crappy before i installed it :shrug: