Messed up, dash lights up when I hit the brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Razor1981

Reaction score
hey guys, been awhile since I have vistited. But have a good one here...

Last night the rigth turn signal stopped working, it would start to flash n then it would dull out (the arrow on the dash).
Got it home got side tracked n never looked at it. Left for work this morning and hit my brakes before I started it.. Warning buzzer comes on.. Started the truck (started fine). Turn signal was working fine, but when I hit the brakes, it lights up my dash light, plus the radio (radio is off)...

Anyone have a clue? All I can think of is a ground somewhere maybe, but I don't even know where to start, I don't know where they all are but will look into it once I get home. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Razor1981

Reaction score
Apparently reading thru some other threads with brake light issues (mine still work), their is a ground off the right rear bumber, which just so happens to be where I kicked off a huge chunk of snow/ice yesterday before I went home.. Guessing that is messed up, let you guys know when I know..

Razor1981

Reaction score
Well there is no ground on the rear corner on either side.. N quit for the night when I saw my channel for the box to the bed was rusting thru... A lot.. Try again tomorrow after I figure out where any grounds are on the truck for these lights.. Brakes still work fine, and learned that the turn signal doesn't work with the lights on, and with the lights off it is still lighting up my dash and radio when I hit the brakes.. Fun fun...

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
It does sound like a feedback issue. Most likely a ground issue. Please post your findings

Razor1981

Reaction score
Got done with the rear ground.. Didn't look that bad.. And was not the issue... This is turning into a nightmare.. If anyone has any suggestions please post... I going to be going thru everything wiring Saturday, and any help or suggestions would really help out. It is such a weird problem, these things should not be tied together like this... Will keep checking this till I get started, and I will let you all know what it ends up being. :greenchainsaw:

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Did you check the bulbs? You could have a filament cross connecting inside the bulb. Really hard to diagnose over the internet.

Razor1981

Reaction score
That I have not checked, will have to do. So far all wires under the dash seem fine... Trying to located all the grounds n check them, but not sure of all the locations, know of the ones on the motor but that wouldn't tie into this, and found the ground on the back of the truck, but that has been it so far...

Razor1981

Reaction score
Checked those, friend of mine stopped by last week n suggested that...

But on the plus side, it is offical that Chevy is the best truck made... Cuz after messing around for a week when I could, I guess my truck felt bad for me... It just fixed itself.. So can't tell you what it was... But I know my truck loves me now... lol