Mechanical tach-drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A-2 ace

Reaction score
I'm looking into carb swapping my 88 tbi... The dizzy I'm looking to purchase stats in has no mechanical tach drive? Does this mean that if I want to run a tach in the future I won't be able to?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you run an electrical tach signal off the coil (white wire). The same as it's always been on these trucks.

A-2 ace

Reaction score
It's funny I've never owned a truck but always wanted one and some how I land up with two in the same year..

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A tach drive distributor was used for a mechanically driven tach. It was a cable that was driven by the distributor. Corvettes through about the mid 70's had them.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Chevy gas V8 (BB & SB) marine engines in 60s and 70s also had delco mechanical tach drives.
HEI has electronic tach drive built into it. Three wires: power, ground, tach. Too simple.
No reason at all to go mechanical.
A universal tach can also be alternator driven.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Diesel. No spark. I have to run a certain diameter pulley or it throws off my rpm. I believe it's a 3 wire. Can't change crank pulley either