mechanical injection pump swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok the Cummins swap is not going to happen unfortunately. So I'm back to the drawing board, and was wondering if anyone has ever swapped the electronic injection pump for the mechanical pump? I think it should be doable. The truck is the one in my signature. I know where I can get the mechanical pump for really cheap and it still works, I just cant afford another electronic pump, I know that I have to change the throttle pedal and find a throttle cable for it, just curious as to how hard it will be to accomplish.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well stupidly it was the starter rattling loose again, I tightened it back up and it sounds like it should when cranking

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well stupidly it was the starter rattling loose again, I tightened it back up and it sounds like it should when cranking

Ah, I see.

Keep a close watch on those bolts.

That's how the broken off starter mount on the block happens. The bolts come loose, auger out the thread and eventually break the "ear" off that they thread into. When that goes, the block is trash. No way to repair it in place.

Does your starter have the support bracket on the front of the starter?

It's small and doesn't looks like much but it play an important roll in starter movement when cranking.

If you have the bracket and the starter bolts still came loose, I would replace them with new ones from the dealer.

You absolutely do not want the starter jumping around when trying to crank over a 21:1 compression engine....

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No support bracket but I would like to get one on there I only put 200 miles on the starter and bolts that I just replaced (the all thread that my wife put in her starter 5 years ago held up better than the dorman bolt) ill get a better bolt for it when I do the ip swap