manual transmission optoins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sew low: you have the 3500 with a short throw don't you? Or am I thinking of some one els? What power plant is in your truck?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yea, I have a Hurst shifter. One of my favourite mods I've done to the truck. It's a 6. But a DD'd full size truck that gets 20+ mpg is not getting many complaints from me! Hehe! I've considered a N/A 5.3, but I ain't doing any more mods to this truck till the '98's done!
Eric.s.t is doing a t56 swap in his truck. Just got his shifter relocator.
Here's his build. Might take a bit to find that info among the 300 or so posts in there.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?9860-1990-Chevy-sport-build/page5

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man.
Guess I'm going to have to bite the big bullet and pull off the 4.8. But that leads me to the other problem. Different input shaft lengths of the 93/97 and the 98/20xx lt1 t56 bolts to the TBI but needs mods for the 4.8/ ls t56 bolts to the 4.8, but needs a spacer for the TBI
Mabey a 98+ t56 and 3/4" spacer till the wallet heals for the 4.8? Or go with the 97- and machine a pilot bearing or change the input shaft, front plat, etc etc yada yada its racking my brain and scaring my wallet. play big= pay big!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Ain't that the truth! I took a $6500.00 hit (Bad biz deal) & it put my '98's build back 1.5 years. And all I'm doing is sliding in a 6.0/4L80e with EFIlive. As simply as possible!
I wouldn't try to attempt a stick swap in it, as much as I'd like to. Too much $$$ & time! I can only afford one or the other.
Besides, I've owned high HP stick vehicles before. If there's a weak spot in the drivetrain, I'll find it! Lol! That adds to that initial cost!

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found the week spot on my 3500 With a 5200 rpm shift to 2nd leaving the beer store. Wasn't aware any thing happened till pulling in my drive way to park, when to throw it in first and it was a no go. now I have to double clutch to shift to second . Im asuming its all in the trany. Dont want to blow x amont on clutch and parts to find out so a swap is in order. O well as the saying goes "gota pay to play"

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there any difference between the older TBI nv3500 and the ls 4.8 nv3500 "bolt in" wise. (Not worked about internals)
I'm guessing there is hence the ls t56 won't go behind a older TBI/lt1 motor.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know much about the NV3500's I just know a 6.5L turbo diesel has too much torque to consider one. Maybe in a light weight NA 6.2/6.5L dropped in an elcamino but not a full size. Never killed an NV4500 but even on gassers I shift by 4500 rpm, my 93 is build to handle 5K but no need in a tow rig and I guess it might not be a good idea for the trans.

When you try to shift does it grind or is it just a locked feeling?

As far as swaping from an LS to TBI era, I know a 4l80 bolts up fine doing a swap like that and so does an NV4500. I'd assume the NV3500 would be very similar. The T56 was never meant for a truck, not sure what differences there are but I wouldn't think it would be that severe. GM liked to make things interchangeable.