Manual to power conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I'm not much help but I did replace my carpet resently lol. Your gonna need a power source. Somebody who's smarter then me can tell you from stock or aux. Idk which. But when routing it I believe it went from the driver floor sill plate to the seat belt retractor area to the seat(under the carpet) towards the center . There was a slit in the carpet and the wiring came up and plugged into the seat. I'm just letting you know the routing so when you tackle it you can have an idea where to run it.

Roadie

Reaction score
Well I'm not much help but I did replace my carpet resently lol. Your gonna need a power source. Somebody who's smarter then me can tell you from stock or aux. Idk which. But when routing it I believe it went from the driver floor sill plate to the seat belt retractor area to the seat(under the carpet) towards the center . There was a slit in the carpet and the wiring came up and plugged into the seat. I'm just letting you know the routing so when you tackle it you can have an idea where to run it.
Thank you.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put mid-'90s Cadillac seats in my stepside, and although I'm still finishing up the wiring, I have battery power through a fused junction box straight to the hot terminal on the seats so they can be moved with the key off. The control circuits for the seat heaters will be wired through a relay controlled with an ignition signal, because I'll also have a 12v receptacle and an inverter running off the same relay.

The junction box came from a junkyard Mazda 323.
View media item 32321

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The newer (NBS+) trucks have all the wiring in place, regardless of trim level. In other words, even if you have manual seats from the factory, the wiring for power seats is under the carpet.
I don't know if that's the case with OBS trucks as well, but it's worth a look.

Roadie

Reaction score
I put mid-'90s Cadillac seats in my stepside, and although I'm still finishing up the wiring, I have battery power through a fused junction box straight to the hot terminal on the seats so they can be moved with the key off. The control circuits for the seat heaters will be wired through a relay controlled with an ignition signal, because I'll also have a 12v receptacle and an inverter running off the same relay.

The junction box came from a junkyard Mazda 323.
View media item 32321
Thank you.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The newer (NBS+) trucks have all the wiring in place, regardless of trim level. In other words, even if you have manual seats from the factory, the wiring for power seats is under the carpet.
I don't know if that's the case with OBS trucks as well, but it's worth a look.
What about an 06 Suburban/Yukon XL? Do they have all the wiring harness, and is it compatible with the older 92-99 Burb? Thanks!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about an 06 Suburban/Yukon XL? Do they have all the wiring harness, and is it compatible with the older 92-99 Burb? Thanks!
They do have the wiring, but I'm not sure about backwards compatibly. Even if it would work, you'd have a ton of work to take all the wiring out of the newer one, and still have to install it in the older one. Be quicker just to run new wiring.

Roadie

Reaction score
They do have the wiring, but I'm not sure about backwards compatibly. Even if it would work, you'd have a ton of work to take all the wiring out of the newer one, and still have to install it in the older one. Be quicker just to run new wiring.
What is the best place to tap into power?