Manual to auto trans ignition lock cylinder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Hey all, searched on this but couldn't find anything but how-to videos of actually replacing the ignition lock cylinder, which I already know how to do lol... My question is, can I use a lock cylinder designed for automatic trucks on my standard? My truck is a 97 with the standard, but I don't even have to use the button on the lock cylinder (and I rather like it that way) - however currently my key just falls out while I'm driving. Looking to replace all my lock cylinders at once (because my door key only works when it wants to as well, and doesn't match the ignition), and it seems very difficult to find a set with the "manual button" ignition cylinder. TIA

s98gmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced all my locks about three years ago with this set: https://www.classicindustries.com/product/312314.html

Mine is a manual and the old cylinder had the button, but it was so worn it required wiggling the key to get it to start or release the key after shutting it off. I assume what I replaced it with is an automatic cylinder since it doesn't have the button. It was a direct swap and works fine. I also prefer not needing to push a button to release the key.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Right, I was able to find a lot of the manual ignition cylinder by itself, but not all three lock cylinders at once with the same key lol. I did find one lot, but for like $40 more than the button-less sets were going for. I'm going to give the auto set a shot and report back.